Shooting jackets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

philt

Shooting jackets

#1 Post by philt »

Can anyone tell me if Creedmoor jackets are on sale in the UK?
I have emailed the States but had no answer as yet.
Steve E

Re: Shooting jackets

#2 Post by Steve E »

No they are not. If you fill in their online sizing they should get back to you. I know several GB shooters who have ordered their jackets online and have had delivery.
Creedmoor may be rather busy at the moment with their build up to and attendance at Camp Perry, as the US shoots are very close to starting.
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

Can't find anything on the net for the UK, but I have seen one or two worn at Bisley...

...looking at the prices (there was a nice one for $130) in the US; if you can get one shipped it'd still be cheaper than a canvass of leather one here...
philt

#4 Post by philt »

Thanks for the information. Good to know they have replied to the webpage form, so I will try that.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#5 Post by Mattnall »

I have a Creedmore high power jacket. Very good jacket and certainly improved my score across the course. Good in 3 positions - standing, sitting and prone.
Ordered it with custom sizes off their web site about 15 years ago. I went for a hard back (white for sun reflection) with ventilated sides. They didn't do it at the time but I could use the zips up the sides as when sitting it can get difficult unless you undo all the toggles but the top one, otherwise you end up looking like Smiffy from the Bash Street Boys.

Just a warning - I remember getting stung for the customs charges this end, not a nice surprise (I should have expected it, I suppose, but somehow I forgot about it).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#6 Post by johngarnett »

I'm interested in the Creedmore too! I have a tightness problem in both armpits of my Tucker jacket. Only used for TR prone.

I was thinking towards the Lite version, in either leather or Cordura. I intend to have ventilation and possibly zips. Apparently the Lite does not have a sling loop as standard so add on $25. You can have the LH hip patch left out as no real use for TR here.

Any thoughts re sizing? Do you order as they say - chest meas in shirt or do you wear your favourite sweat shirt and add a bit on??

Any thoughts would be useful please.

Thanks

JohnG
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#7 Post by Mattnall »

johngarnett wrote: Any thoughts re sizing? Do you order as they say - chest meas in shirt or do you wear your favourite sweat shirt and add a bit on??

Any thoughts would be useful please.

Thanks

JohnG
John,

I make sure I wear the same clothing under the jacket every time, otherwise it can be loose or tight depending upon temperature etc. so I measured myself wearing the clothes I'd expect to wear on the range.

I always wear clothing to be comfortable for cold weather, the coldest I'm likely to be shooting in, and on hotter days just put the extra on for the detail and then strip off the extra when done. This makes the fit consistent every time and sling length and tightness etc. is consistent. I find I can get away with a T-shirt and a hoodie underneath even in the coldest weather on the range.

The hoodie is a must for me as it helps with comfort around the neck, I ordered the jacket with a towelling neck band (removable) but that was awkward and uncomfortable for me to wear and was removed very quickly to become a hand held wiper of the brow.

I opted for the sling keeper as it is allowed in the competitions I shoot and is a great help.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Steve E

#8 Post by Steve E »

I am reliably informed that a UK agent for Creedmoor jackets is in the process of being appointed and should be in place by the end of August. Details will follow as soon as I have them. I am presently at Camp Perry and have been party to the discussions involved in setting up the agency. Do not ask for more details at present, I will post when all is in place. The waiting time for a new jacket in the USA is 14 weeks and should be the same for the UK.
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#9 Post by johngarnett »

I have now ordered my jacket after serious structural measuring, well, a tape and a hoodie! I went for a Cordura/leather Lite jacket with some mods. I tried a Hardback but was very stiff. I avoided the venting as the one I saw had the mesh pulling away.

Steve, yes I spoke with Gina at Creedmore and the 'agency' was being investigated. Should be forthcoming dreckly. Delivery is quoted as 12 to 14 weeks at the moment.

If anyone is serious about a serious jacket then communicate with Creedmore (Gina Williams)

I will give a progress report as and when!

JohnG :cornwall:

PS Steve - hope you are showing the USA how to shoot!! bangbang
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

Also consider ten.point.nine or 10.9 & Ghemman or Truttmann jackets used on the continent for 300m & very good jackets for full-bore / prone. for the more budget minded Holm, Schultz, Fultons, Thune & for the tres expensive & designed more for 3P Sauer.

Its a great shame there is only 2 GB manufacturers now (Fultons & 10.9) I do believe the Tucker design with buttons would be a world beater & am surprised nobody has taken up the IPR on this to make & provide them to the sport.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?