FAC and renting

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Tower75

FAC and renting

#1 Post by Tower75 »

Hi, all.

I've got a friend (honestly, not me) who is genuinely thinking of joining the NRA and applying for an FAC.

One thing he's worried about is he's in a rented house and doesn't know if he needs to disclose the fact he has an FAC to them, and whether it'll affect his insurance.

To my knowledge, perhaps incorrectly, I would say no, he doesn't need to disclose that he has an FAC to his landlord, or his insurers. The only people that need to know are the Police. This is, of course, assuming his tenancy agreement doesn't say: "No firearms."

Any advise would be very helpful.
Many thanks.
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

Re: FAC and renting

#2 Post by DavidRees »

If he wishes to install security (a safe, basically) then since it has to be attached to the fabric of the building, he would be wise to get permission for such work from his landlord.
saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

DavidRees wrote:If he wishes to install security (a safe, basically) then since it has to be attached to the fabric of the building, he would be wise to get permission for such work from his landlord.
My leases have always allowed any reasonable work to be carried out, on condition that the property is restored to the condition prior to that work, on vacating.

Want to know your landlords views on guns?
Do as DR suggested...

IF the landlord is anti, then be prepared to either not pursue shooting as a sport, or be given you months notice OR, with some landlords, possibly both

Best check the lease conditions.
No mention, then carry on: the ONLY people to be informed then will be the FEO, etc.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

I rent and was open about my need to install a cabinet for Firearms and both the letting agent and owner are aware and had no issues.

However it doesn't matter who's aware, it's his reponsibility to ensure he keeps his cabinet keys from anyone who has no right to access it.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

He lives in the middle of the Suffolk stix where people enjoy Shotgunning, of all things, so I reckon it's not an unreasonable request.

However, I feel that as long as his tenancy agreements doesn't says: "No firearms," his landlord doesn't need to know, nor do his insurers, only the FLO and Police need to be in the know.
Last edited by Tower75 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tower75

#6 Post by Tower75 »

Double post.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

When I asked my agent laughed and said you can have as many guns as you like as long as you dont want a pet....

The only stipualtion was to make good any holes when I leave, which isnt unreasonable and I know a good painter/decorator who did my last place and it was the best wall in the house.

I also made some 3inch wooden plinths to stand the cabinets on so they cleared the skirting board and were flat against the wall.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
zanes

#8 Post by zanes »

The way I handled this was to firstly check my contract for mentions of firearms (none) and then ask my landlord:

"Can I install a safe in the house? This will entail drilling four holes in the wall. I am happy to make good when I leave".

This was greeted with a "yes". No need to inform the landlord that you'll be keeping firearms in the property and IMHO doing that may well breach your security.

ETA: Your advice is sound, as is saddler.
SevenSixTwo

#9 Post by SevenSixTwo »

The storage of firearms in rented accommodation does not legally require specific permission to
be sought by or from landlords
. Any tenants or prospective tenants seeking permission to store
firearms and ammunition on the premises should not unreasonably be refused permission.
Consultation with the landlord to gain agreement for the location and fixing of security devices is
likely to be necessary dependant upon the terms of the tenancy agreement which can be
negotiated. Should a landlord wish to know about the storage of firearms based on potential
structural concern the drafting of a tenancy agreement may wish to be carefully worded; for
example: “The fitting of semi-permanent fixings into the fabric of the property (e.g. TV mounts,
gun cabinets etc.) The tenant should firstly consult their landlord or agent as to the siting of such
devices to ensure that the structure of the building is not damaged by such work”. Repairs or
damage to the structure of the property will need to be addressed in the lease and it should be
pointed out to the tenant that on surrender of the lease these dilapidations should be made
good.

BASC / National Landlords Association Advice: .pdf: http://basc.org.uk/?s=rented&x=0&y=0
Tower75

#10 Post by Tower75 »

Brilliant. Many thanks.