45acp heads

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

45acp heads

#1 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm looking around trying to find bullet heads for some 45 acp rounds....

i've been told FMJ rounds would be the best thing to run in the rifle, but i can't use them at my range. and i have been told to avoid lead, so i was looking around for copper wash or copper plated heads, but can't seem to find anything and don't really know all the good places to look

anyone able to help me out?

stuart
Last edited by bradaz11 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: 45acp heads

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

PM sent
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

Bullets go in cartridge cases to make a round of ammunition
Heads are the pointy bits on the front of arrows...to make Frenchies know their place
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

sorry, just trying to make it clearer, and sticking to how kranks had catorgorised them :)
Rburro2

#5 Post by Rburro2 »

Shoulder, neck, ? . I see the politically correct shooting police are out again. When someone puts head you all seem to know what they mean.
tackb

#6 Post by tackb »

Take no notice , people willing to help know what you mean !

I've got some lead heads tucked away somewhere from my pistol days ?
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

thanks, but im not looking for lead atm, as the gunsmith has said that they have leaded up quite badly on some others and to try to use FMJ's. but i can't use FMJ's at thorn, so i'm looking for something in between. i have also asked my FEO about semi jacketed rounds and he has said he will let me know. as he didnt seem to think they needed to be on my ticket....

but as said, i'll still need to find somewhere to source washed or plated heads if he says no, and if he says yes, somewhere to find semi jackets

hope thats a bit clearer
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

thanks, but im not looking for lead atm, as the gunsmith has said that they have leaded up quite badly on some others and to try to use FMJ's. but i can't use FMJ's at thorn, so i'm looking for something in between. i have also asked my FEO about semi jacketed rounds and he has said he will let me know. as he didnt seem to think they needed to be on my ticket....

but as said, i'll still need to find somewhere to source washed or plated heads if he says no, and if he says yes, somewhere to find semi jackets

hope thats a bit clearer
Witch Gunsmith was that and what others are you referring to. You do not need to have semi jacketed bullets on your ticket you just need a slot that allows you to hold a amount of 45 ammo cast jacketed semi jacketed it does not matter. What type and make of rifle are you talking about.
I would ask questions on the forum before getting your FEO what ever that means involved.

Dodgy Rog has sent you a pm he will be able to help you out. Cast boolits (Lead)will work fine. What are you using the rifle for what distance are you shooting over what disciplines are you shooting.
The more info you supply the better we are able to help you out.
I am guessing you are looking for loaded rounds or are you wanting to hand load.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

majordisorder

#10 Post by majordisorder »

I shoot .45 ACP in my rifle.

I've used lead, copper plated & TFMJ bullets to good effect at ranges from 25 - 200 yards. For best shot-to-shot accuracy & consistency I shoot copper plated and TFMJ, if I want cheap(er) shooting I use lead.