45acp heads

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: 45acp heads

#11 Post by dodgyrog »

majordisorder wrote:I shoot .45 ACP in my rifle.

I've used lead, copper plated & TFMJ bullets to good effect at ranges from 25 - 200 yards. For best shot-to-shot accuracy & consistency I shoot copper plated and TFMJ, if I want cheap(er) shooting I use lead.
If you are doing it right the lead alloy boolits will match the accuracy of a jacketed boolit - Dromia will be along to tell you that boolit fit is the key to good accuracy.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

bradaz11 wrote:thanks, but im not looking for lead atm, as the gunsmith has said that they have leaded up quite badly on some others and to try to use FMJ's. but i can't use FMJ's at thorn, so i'm looking for something in between. i have also asked my FEO about semi jacketed rounds and he has said he will let me know. as he didnt seem to think they needed to be on my ticket....

but as said, i'll still need to find somewhere to source washed or plated heads if he says no, and if he says yes, somewhere to find semi jackets

hope thats a bit clearer
Lead alloy boolits do NOT lead up barrels unless the barrel is as rough as a badgers a**e or you are using the wrong size boolit and/or the wrong hardness of alloy.
Oh, and the boolit must be lubed with something decent.
What rifle are we talking about?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Your gunsmith is not quiet accurate enough to explain the leading, it is cast boolits of the wrong size and and too hard an alloy that cause the leading not cast boolits in general.

The 45ACP is one of the best cast boolit friendly cartridges you can get and you will never get them going fast enough to worry about leading or accuracy so long as you have good boolit fit and a soft alloy.

Following your gunsmiths logic if you got a jacketed boolit that coppered badly and didn't shoot well would he recommend cast?

Heads is not the name for bullets why would you assume Kranks are the fountain of all shooting knowledge as opposed to other gunshops that don't call them heads.

I was told that the reason Kranks started calling them heads was because of the confusion caused by some customers referring to bullets as bullets and other customers calling cartridges bullets. Calling them bullets heads was and attempt to stop incorrect orders going out. Whilst it may help Kranks get their orders correct it doesn't make it the correct nomenclature, it is a recipe for confusion what is the difference between the case head and the bullet head?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
zanes

#14 Post by zanes »

I'd be careful with "semi jacketed" bullets if they have an exposed lead tip- sound/look worryingly like "soft point" (expanding) bullets.
jjvc

#15 Post by jjvc »

Copper washed bullets are available from Haendler & Natermann, Germany if you really need to go that route.

http://www.hn-sport.de/en/products/bull ... ts/45.html

I personally shoot lead in my .45 Armalon with no problems.

Joe
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Cast Boolits, you know they make sense.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#17 Post by Mattnall »

dromia wrote:Cast Boolits, you know they make sense.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Would you recommend Cast Boolits then?

Not sure but reading between the lines it seems you might.
O:-)
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.