home visit

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

piroflip

home visit

#1 Post by piroflip »

Apart from checking that I have an approve firearms cabinet firmly attached to a supporting wall what else can I expect on my face to face visit after applying for my FAC?

Any do's and don'ts to watch out for?

I've started my probationary period at a local club which has facilities for almost any center-fire caliber and am an ex FAC holder.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

Re: home visit

#2 Post by billgatese30 »

My visit consisted more of talking about motor racing and photography than about shooting. He'll check the cabinet security (give it a good pull) he might check the front and back door and any downstairs windows for locks etc and he asked one or two questions about the alarm (but did say it wasn't necessary anyway) and then he might run through the application form to double check the details are right. Other than that you don't have anything to worry about.
Chris
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

He will ask why you want the calibres that you have listed, and if you've asked for a moderator(s) he'll want to know why.

It's up to you to convince him that you have a need for everything you've asked for, so make sure you have the answers ready. ;)

Other than that, it will be very simple and straightforward. Don't try to hide anything from them - they probably know more about you than you know about yourself, so rule number one is be honest.

Good luck - and enjoy your new FAC when it arrives! ;) :lol:
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Les wrote:He will ask why you want the calibres that you have listed, and if you've asked for a moderator(s) he'll want to know why.

It's up to you to convince him that you have a need for everything you've asked for, so make sure you have the answers ready. ;)

Other than that, it will be very simple and straightforward. Don't try to hide anything from them - they probably know more about you than you know about yourself, so rule number one is be honest.

+1 on all of Les' comments + make sure you ask them if they want a brew and bickies are always a must :goodjob: :cheers:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
piroflip

#5 Post by piroflip »

many thanks.

boy things have changed,,,,,,,,,,,,,checking my doors and windows????????????? wtfwtf
Egg on Leggs1

#6 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Remember it is also a low level psychological profile so just check there are no obvious survival/nazi/moslem eextremist/too many child relative/cliff richard/gary glitter pictures about the gaff.

:grin:
Mail2pete

#7 Post by Mail2pete »

It's also a check on the quality of your tea making.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

Jammy Dodgers, ooman, jammy dodgers.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
zanes

#9 Post by zanes »

Les wrote:He will ask why you want the calibres that you have listed, and if you've asked for a moderator(s) he'll want to know why.

"“Good reason” should be neither confined to need nor equated with desire. Most firearm certificate holders possess firearms for reasons of their profession, sport recreation, or collecting, study or research and may properly wish to exercise discretion as to what types of firearms they choose for these purposes. " - Home Office Guidance, June 2014.

So, for target shooting, if you have the storage space and access to suitable ranges (via club membership) you are good to go for whatever you want (within reason).
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

zanes wrote:

"“Good reason” should be neither confined to need nor equated with desire. Most firearm certificate holders possess firearms for reasons of their profession, sport recreation, or collecting, study or research and may properly wish to exercise discretion as to what types of firearms they choose for these purposes. " - Home Office Guidance, June 2014.

So, for target shooting, if you have the storage space and access to suitable ranges (via club membership) you are good to go for whatever you want (within reason).
+1 and from the same paragraph (13.6)

Chief officers of police should be mindful of case law (Anderson v Neilans (1940) and Joy v Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway (1966)) which suggests that the chief officer should consider the application firstly “from the standpoint of the applicant rather than from that of a possible objector”. “Good reason” will need to be demonstrated for each firearm to be held under section 1 of the 1968 Act.
DVC