(More FAC security) Thumb turn front door lock

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FencepostError

(More FAC security) Thumb turn front door lock

#1 Post by FencepostError »

My FAC application is in but I haven't had the inspection yet. In any case, we're looking at getting a new composite front door. This will have a BS-whatever Euro-cylinder lock. However, I was thinking of having a thumb-turn on the inside rather than a keyhole, to ensure ease of exit in a fire. The door won't have any glass near the lock, though the letter-box might be more of an issue.

Is this likely to be an issue in the event the new door is put in before the inspection?

Any other thoughts?
Alpha1

Re: (More FAC security) Thumb turn front door lock

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I would not of thought so as long as the door does not have any glass in it. You can only operate the thumb lock from inside.
FencepostError

#3 Post by FencepostError »

Yeah, the only glass will be small sections high up (and pretty secure anyway). The letter box is more of a concern.

On the other hand, other people in the house may not have good mobility and I don't a lock to cause a problem evacuating if there's a fire :/
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#4 Post by Tommygunn »

If you are getting a euro cylinder, and are concerned with security, do get a rated anti-snap one
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
FencepostError

#5 Post by FencepostError »

Tommygunn wrote:If you are getting a euro cylinder, and are concerned with security, do get a rated anti-snap one
Yes, will make sure it's anti-snap and anti-bump :)
SevenSixTwo

#6 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Also, ensure when they fit it that it's flush with the door. Anti-snap does not mean it can't be snapped...

In all likelihood, FEO won't check anyway but better to be secure as poss.
FencepostError

#7 Post by FencepostError »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Also, ensure when they fit it that it's flush with the door. Anti-snap does not mean it can't be snapped...

In all likelihood, FEO won't check anyway but better to be secure as poss.
As I understand it, while flush fitting is desirable, anti-snap cylinders are designed so they can't be opened once snapped, rather than so they can't be snapped.
SevenSixTwo

#8 Post by SevenSixTwo »

More modern ones may well be but they might just be working with old stock. Best to check.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Why not just do away with the letter box if you are worried about it? Get one fitted to the wall?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
pnuk

#10 Post by pnuk »

As I see it in terms of escaping the property during a fire makes your way much safer.

If the lock is above the letter box it should be fairly easy to stop that being a problem.

In terms of general security where the thumb turn falls down is allowing the front door to be used as an exit route if the burglars have entered by rear or via a window.