(More FAC security) Thumb turn front door lock

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

Re: (More FAC security) Thumb turn front door lock

#11 Post by Dave 101 »

The modern DG front doors I have seen don't require that you lock it to stop someone coming in from the out side , you lift the handle on the inside which stops it being operated on the outside therefore it will not open and no need to touch the lock . To get out you just use the handle as normal .

Dave
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

downside with those are though, if you can get something thru a letterbox, you can then open the door....
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
toffe wrapper

#13 Post by toffe wrapper »

You can get a composite door with a night latch and a multipoint lock.

Night latch for when you are in, multipoint lock for when house empty.
The multi point is key driven not a lift up the handle so only engages by deliberate act of turning key with key both sides
Meets escape rules and security requirement no thumb turn needed.

PM me if you need details mine came from a local installer and was made by Solidor UK.

TW
FencepostError

#14 Post by FencepostError »

bradaz11 wrote:Why not just do away with the letter box if you are worried about it? Get one fitted to the wall?
That would actually be my preferred option but it isn't entirely up to me :)
FencepostError

#15 Post by FencepostError »

Dave 101 wrote:The modern DG front doors I have seen don't require that you lock it to stop someone coming in from the out side , you lift the handle on the inside which stops it being operated on the outside therefore it will not open and no need to touch the lock . To get out you just use the handle as normal .

Dave
As bradaz11 says, that sounds really easy to open via the letter box!
toffe wrapper

#16 Post by toffe wrapper »

Dave 101

If you just slam shut the lift up handle lock an do not lift and turn the key a thief can open the door with a screwdriver in seconds. Had a spate of burglaries in the town by this method. People were asleep in middle of night thief pop door and in and out in seconds grab what ever to hand. £800 pounds worth of damage to mums door as they could not get in, but damaged the door and frame so I had to replace the lot.

Good news thief was caught and went to prison

TW
Demonic69

#17 Post by Demonic69 »

Get an RFID reader/relay on the inside and issue cards or implants to those allowed in the house. Visitors can be buzzed out :-)
FencepostError

#18 Post by FencepostError »

Demonic69 wrote:Get an RFID reader/relay on the inside and issue cards or implants to those allowed in the house. Visitors can be buzzed out :-)
Nah, far too easy to MITM (or half the time, even clone) an RFID-based system!