Semi introduction and questions!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Orr

Semi introduction and questions!

#1 Post by Orr »

Hello all,

I've read most of the forms, forgive if I've missed the information else where. But first a little about myself.

I'm 25, always been interest in shooting and weapons. The maths behind a long distance shot always interested me (yes aniper rifles etc). My farther is ex RAF and use to shoot a look of game. I've always want to take up target shooting markownship etc. So here I am trying to find out the best ways of getting into the sport and general to meet people etc.
I'm an engineer and know my way around most fire arms, I've have limited shooting experience but nothing long term. Iv play Airsoft, and Altho its nothing like real shooting it does help give you the weapon handling etc, not quite the same but as close as most people will ever get.

Ok so I'm looking for a club in my local area, I've tried googling but not really turned up a lot, I'm based in swindon and looking for a full bore target shooting club. Looking at shooting historical and modern day weapons, so from Lee Enfield No4. Etc to the moden 22. Semi auto.

I've contacted my local police force for advise and the fact I'm looking at taking up the sport, however they weren't able to point toward a shooting club. So if anyone can recommend or point me in the right direction that would be amazing!

Thank you very much for taking the time to read, feel free to ask me about anything from the above.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Semi introduction and questions!

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Bisley is feasible from Swindon.
Might be worth asking them or the NSRA for local club info.
Try and avoid using "weapon" !
And welcome.
Tony
Orr

#3 Post by Orr »

Thanks, I'll take a look. Sorry which term should I be using, rifle? Weapon is from my Army shooting days (Altho never been in the Army is hard to explain).
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Welcome to the forum goodjob

I think you'd be well served by doing the NRA Probationers course at Bisley, google NRA uk and have a look on the courses page.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
M99

#5 Post by M99 »

Welcome.
Did your Dad serve at Lyneham?
A couple of places worth a visit would be the tunnel club in Devizes, Dauntsey guns at the bottom of Dauntsey bank Lyneham and Corinium rifle range at Cirencester.
There are a few local clubs, a list can be found on the NRA website.

Mike
DaveT

#6 Post by DaveT »

Severnside range is just over the bridge and has 100 and 200 yard options.

Very friendly club.

Corinium rifle range is closer but ridiculously expensive....REALLY ridiculous!

If you are serious then I could take you as a guest to Servernside after Xmas.

Bisley is feasible but its still a 70+ mile trip and you would need to do their Probationers course.

I live near Cirencester and have yet to find a closer range than either Severnside or Bisley although I think that Bulford is an option.

I also shoot at Warminster (up to 900 metres) with Offas Dyke club....its about 45 miles from me.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

Hi .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
ovenpaa

#8 Post by ovenpaa »

:wave:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Hello and welcome :wave:

A local club with access to a short indoor range would get you shooting quickly and most clubs offer a night during the week. This is a good way to get trigger time without all the long distance travelling. I know it is usually only small-bore available but many will offer GR and full-bore days during the month at various ranges, including Bisley. You'll get more access to shooting and could quickly progress to full membership and FAC.

If you are quite a distance from Bisley a local club is often less daunting (and possibly cheaper) and rather than travelling you'll be able to pop down on a club night and spend an hour or so and get the safety instruction as well as procedures over the weeks without having to take a whole day here and there.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Orr

#10 Post by Orr »

Hey all,

Thanks for the massive welcome and the awesome information! Forgive me if I don't reply to all the questions as trying to do this on my phone, which is always a pain in the back side and Im also on nights hence the late reply!

My dad was base at lyneham it was his last posting, he was a GE (avionics) on Herc's I think.

Thanks for the invite, sounds awesome, if you PM me times and dates I shall take a look at what I have free!

With regards to travel. It's doesn't really fuse me to much, as I work 7on 7off rotation shifts so I have every other week off, so plenty of time to get down the range and throw some lead down. But obviously the closer the better. I shall defferently look at all the clubs and the NRA websites etc.

Thanks again for the information/help and the warm welcome'!

Regards

Tristan