FAC References

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

FAC References

#1 Post by hitchphil »

An sure ages ago - for a first application you needed 2 independent referees - i.e. not FAC holders, club members or RFD/shooters. Then for renewals it was one from club, & one independent ref.

Have the rules changes as the forms now say:
11. When applying for a firearm certificate, you should have gained the permission of two people who have agreed to act as referees for you. You must complete Part F (i & ii) with their details. When applying for a shotgun certificate you should have gained the permission of one person to act as a referee for you. You must complete part F (i) with their details.

12. The referee(s) who have agreed to act for you must have known you personally for at least two years and must be resident in Great Britain. Referees must not be a member of your family, a registered firearms dealer, a serving police officer or police employee. Referees must be of good character and any references they agree to provide must be given freely and not on payment.
My daughter is making first application, I am Sec of the club, so the chair will cover a club membership reference etc, she's moved schools a bit so people like school tutor are out & she's left scouts & was only in the shooting club there anyway for less than 2 years.

So can she just get 2 other shooters who are over 18 & known her for at least 2 years to provide a Reference, then?

Any thoughts or advice?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: FAC References

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

my first referees were not shooters, they were just family friends. on my last renewal i had one which was a family friend, the other was a member of the club, who was also on the committee, but no paperwork suggested this must be so, it was just who i picked
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

By good character I've taken that to be people who have never had so much as a caution from the police and pay their taxes etc.
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#4 Post by Tommygunn »

Not long been through renewal - FEO advised that neither referee should be a club official etc which was a surprise to me
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

We specifically chose people we had known a long time, but were not shooters themselves...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
toffe wrapper

#6 Post by toffe wrapper »

The rules changed you no longer need club sec / chair to be referee on renewal. I do not do this for any member, as a club sec as how do I know them well enough.
So just use the referees from you application or 2 similar.
Club will be contacted for details of membership, Attendance and if club has access to suitable ranges for weapons held/wanted