First full bore shoot :)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ovenpaa

Re: First full bore shoot :)

#11 Post by ovenpaa »

Was it an NRA or club rifle?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RobB

#12 Post by RobB »

OSM club rifle
RobB

#13 Post by RobB »

Just to be clear.....it didn't miss the target by 3ft, it 'just' missed the bull by 3ft. I.e just missed the frame high by a few inches. We could see the splash.
RobB

#14 Post by RobB »

Just adding to this topic as I took my 14 year old son to Bisley for the first time on Saturday. He'd only shot .22 rimfire a couple of times before and a little bit more of air rifle (rabbiting).
First was 100 yrds in the morning to give him a feel for the recoil of the 2nd hand .308 I'd just bought. We were right next to the F Class GB team of instructors.....no pressure then :)
No pressure at all....and after a few shots I started thinking how much this was going to cost me.. It took 7 shots to hit a bull, problem was the previous 6 were all v Bulls! Admittedly on a standard tr target while shooting with a bipod but still a very proud dad :)
Afternoon was 900yrds with a 15-20mph left to right wind. The NRA RWS 155 seems to go fine for 900yrds. Again, very happy with the rifle. To spice it up my son and I would have a 12 shot competition at the end. 'His rules' had me buying him a rifle if he won.....
So no pressure then.....
I shot first....50v2 out of possible 60. Nicely sighted in for him and good feeling for wind. His first 2 shots... 5 and V. This could get embarrassing! In the end a couple of bad shots and a strong gust of wind on the last shot helped me out. After triple counting.....49v3. Phew!!
I may well still have to buy a 2nd rifle.

Main thing was he was very safe, made safe the rifle correctly and enjoyed himself no end. I had a 1 hour drive home where he reminded me how close I came to losing!
Next time we'll have a rear bag and shoot as we would in F-tr.
He's officially hooked. Maybe back up at Bisley next Sunday on 300 yrds.
Maggot

#15 Post by Maggot »

RobB wrote:Just adding to this topic as I took my 14 year old son to Bisley for the first time on Saturday. He'd only shot .22 rimfire a couple of times before and a little bit more of air rifle (rabbiting).
First was 100 yrds in the morning to give him a feel for the recoil of the 2nd hand .308 I'd just bought. We were right next to the F Class GB team of instructors.....no pressure then :)
No pressure at all....and after a few shots I started thinking how much this was going to cost me.. It took 7 shots to hit a bull, problem was the previous 6 were all v Bulls! Admittedly on a standard tr target while shooting with a bipod but still a very proud dad :)
Afternoon was 900yrds with a 15-20mph left to right wind. The NRA RWS 155 seems to go fine for 900yrds. Again, very happy with the rifle. To spice it up my son and I would have a 12 shot competition at the end. 'His rules' had me buying him a rifle if he won.....
So no pressure then.....
I shot first....50v2 out of possible 60. Nicely sighted in for him and good feeling for wind. His first 2 shots... 5 and V. This could get embarrassing! In the end a couple of bad shots and a strong gust of wind on the last shot helped me out. After triple counting.....49v3. Phew!!
I may well still have to buy a 2nd rifle.

Main thing was he was very safe, made safe the rifle correctly and enjoyed himself no end. I had a 1 hour drive home where he reminded me how close I came to losing!
Next time we'll have a rear bag and shoot as we would in F-tr.
He's officially hooked. Maybe back up at Bisley next Sunday on 300 yrds.
Glad you enjoyed it Rob but I am intrigued.....I have been at Bisley all weekend (the noisy sods on saturday and 300/600 sunday) and I dont remember it raining :D But there was a steady to stiff breeze for most of the weekend.
RobB

#16 Post by RobB »

If it had rained I'd have had a perfect excuse to take the rifle away after his first few v Bulls. Would not want it getting rusty :)
Maggot

#17 Post by Maggot »

RobB wrote:If it had rained I'd have had a perfect excuse to take the rifle away after his first few v Bulls. Would not want it getting rusty :)
No you would'nt matey ;)

They all dry out (even my No4 apparently).