17 Year Old FAC - Calibre Issues?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dave_303

Re: 17 Year Old FAC - Calibre Issues?

#21 Post by dave_303 »

beesleya09 wrote:This may seem a silly question but if I applied and recieved my FAC whilst 17, would, upon my 18th birthday, I be able to purchase firearms and ammunition so long as I provided proof of age, or would I have to apply for a new certificate/speak to my local FEO in order to change the certificate to allow me so?

In short no, my personal experience with Avon & Somerset on this matter is until you are 18 (when I did it the age limit to purchase was 17, so I was 16 when I got my FAC) you will have a condition on your certificate stating no firearms can be purchased until x date (your 18th birthday). As my Dad had also just got his FAC I was provided with a condition that allowed him to gift me firearms from his certificate. Once I turned 18 I didn't need to send in my FAC until I wanted a variation as the conditioned mentioned above became void.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

Re: 17 Year Old FAC - Calibre Issues?

#22 Post by Mattnall »

JS569 wrote:Any decent dealer worth his/her salt will take a deposit on a rifle on the understanding your FAC is granted and you'll pick it up when it arrives (assuming you find a rifle you want to buy before the FAC comes).
Be careful here, I have been told that it is illegal to place a deposit on a firearm if you do not have an FAC or permission to acquire. The deposit is a legal claim to ownership (or something like that).

However, you could offer the dealer a refundable fee not to sell it, that might work, and isn't a deposit on the firearm.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.