Getting back in the swing

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

mbawden

Re: Getting back in the swing

#11 Post by mbawden »

Hi Karen,

No that's not me I'm afraid, I would of only been two years old then.
Steve E

#12 Post by Steve E »

mbawden wrote:Hi Steve,

I would prefer to just do target rifle to start. Silly question but what kind of clothing do people usually wear on a weekend shoot?

What calibre round is most target rifle, I have used 5.56 and 7.62 but no others.

I wasn't aware of the RNTRC so I might have a look at that.
Target Rifle is shot wearing normal street clothes plus the necessary heavy canvas or leather shooting jacket.
Calibre is .308Win or 7.62 x 51 (both the same in reality) Single shot target rifles.
If you want to see what is needed come to Bisley this saturday or sunday (i am there all weekend) and i can show you my set up. I will find the contact details for the RNTRC for you. contact www.rnrmra.org.
The secretary is also a member on this forum, i'll pm him for you.

any questions ask away, TR is what I do.
mbawden

#13 Post by mbawden »

Hi Steve,

When I do start up do most clubs have rifles that I use for the day until I get my personal one. Obviously I will need all the checks done by the police before that happens. Also is it boots to be worn on the range. I have shot at bisley once with the cadets using the L81 cadet rifle but that was many moons ago.
Steve E

#14 Post by Steve E »

Most if not all clubs have rifles/jackets, mats etc for new members to use.
If you want to wear boots, wear them.No point in being uncomfortable.
Trident

#15 Post by Trident »

Royal Navy Shooting details are at:

https://pdevportal.co.uk/sports/shootin ... t_shooting
mbawden

#16 Post by mbawden »

Steve,

What kind of shooting is happening this weekend, obviously I don't want to disturb you during a competition or anything like that.

Trident,

I have sent an e-mail to them, thank you.
Steve E

#17 Post by Steve E »

mbawden wrote:Steve,

What kind of shooting is happening this weekend, obviously I don't want to disturb you during a competition or anything like that.

Trident,

I have sent an e-mail to them, thank you.
On saturday i am zeroing/running in a rifle. Sunday shooting at 300yds AM, 600yds PM.
There will be shooting at all distances with all types of rifles all weekend. Pop down and have a look around.
Week end after i am running a probationers course at the Surrey RA, you are welcome to come and sit in on it. (you won't be able to partake as the course is full but you will get a good idea of full bore TR)
mbawden

#18 Post by mbawden »

Steve,

Do I just turn up un-announced or do I let someone know at Bisley, I don't want to drive there and get turned around due to the fact that I didn't do something. How many clubs are actually based at Bisley?
Steve E

#19 Post by Steve E »

There are thirteen clubhouses as the established clubs, then there are the many dozens of clubs that use Bisley that are either affiliated to the large established clubs, or use Bisley as a base but have no clubhouse. There is nothing to stop anyone from turning up and walking around, just don't go walking on the firing points unaccompanied as you may end up walking across the ranges when you should only walk up/down the range.
If you are going to turn up let me know via this forum and I will let you know how to contact/find me. Get your post count up and you will then be able to PM me. I will not give out contact details for all to see, as this is an open forum. I will tell you how to find me. Bring ear defenders if you are going to visit this w/e.
mbawden

#20 Post by mbawden »

ok steve, ill try and get my posts up so I can contact you directly. How many people turn up to Bisley at weekends on average and what are the open/close times. Is there certain times that you can't fire during the day or does it continue through out the day.