Anyone selling Herco powder please

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Sixshot6

Anyone selling Herco powder please

#1 Post by Sixshot6 »

My dad is buying an Anvil Conversion Nitro Muzzle loader and wants to know who's selling Herco (Henry Kranks hasn't got any at the moment). Does anyone know who has it at all?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Anyone selling Herco powder please

#2 Post by dromia »

Doesn't have to be Herco, so long as the burning rate is similar and is a flake big enough not to fall into the flash hole then it will be fine.

How about Unique?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sixshot6

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

dromia wrote:Doesn't have to be Herco, so long as the burning rate is similar and is a flake big enough not to fall into the flash hole then it will be fine.

How about Unique?
Well it said Blue dot and unique were ok but to use more (5.7 grns for bluedot) and less (4.1 grns for Unique). Its just the power measure is mainly centered around Herco. Lee make a scooper that does the measure I believe? Or do you recommend another product for this purpose?

Also I meant, does anyone know of any dealers selling it also.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Herco and Blue Dot are usually scarce, not many people use them so doesn't appear a lot on dealers shelves.

Unique on the other hand is popular and is on many dealers shelves.

For any form of handloading you really need a good balance beam scale.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
qws

#5 Post by qws »

I am also picking up a 5.5" Remington during the Bisley Show. I was going to try both Blue Dot and Unique using the supplied powder dispenser which on reading the Anvil site it looks OK to use the Herco Dispenser as supplied.
Sixshot6

#6 Post by Sixshot6 »

dromia wrote:Herco and Blue Dot are usually scarce, not many people use them so doesn't appear a lot on dealers shelves.

Unique on the other hand is popular and is on many dealers shelves.

For any form of handloading you really need a good balance beam scale.
I for the life of me cannot remember where my dad got the blue dot from. It was either South yorkshire shooting supplies or possibly Henry Kranks. I can't remember. I guess we'll try and get some Herco from them, even if we have to do. I guess its Alliant that makes unique. I checked and Anvil says if you use a powder to substitute Blue dot produces the best results (apparently their tests showed Unique having more spread shooting groups. It's mentioned on their website what the tests showed).

I guess we'll just use what we can get when we can and be on the look out for Herco. What balance beam scale would you recommend and what should we use to transfer the measured amounts to the revolver at that stage?
Sixshot6

#7 Post by Sixshot6 »

qws wrote:I am also picking up a 5.5" Remington during the Bisley Show. I was going to try both Blue Dot and Unique using the supplied powder dispenser which on reading the Anvil site it looks OK to use the Herco Dispenser as supplied.
If can use the dispenser it should be ok. Hey my dad is getting that barrel length. Should have it in June. But if anyone notices a dealer having some could you please let me know so I can alert my dad so he can buy it?