Remington 1858 5.5" (Anvil Arms Conversion)

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
qws

Remington 1858 5.5" (Anvil Arms Conversion)

#1 Post by qws »

Looking to fill my second slot with an Anvil Arms Nitro Conversion for a Remington 1858 with 5.5" Barrel. This is to match my current one. Need two for CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting)
Sim G

Re: Remington 1858 5.5" (Anvil Arms Conversion)

#2 Post by Sim G »

How about a four inch....?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
qws

#3 Post by qws »

Sim G wrote:How about a four inch....?
Sorry Simon looking for a matching gun to make a pair.
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

I know what you mean. I ran a 4 3/4 and 7 1/2 Uberti Cattlemen at the same time.... Both functioned perfectly fine and were reliable, accurate guns..... But they were mismatched!

Don't see many Anvils about s/h, you may have to go the "new" route. The one I've mentioned is not mine, but a guy in the club. I know it's available because he offered it to me last night! lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
qws

#5 Post by qws »

Sim G wrote:I know what you mean. I ran a 4 3/4 and 7 1/2 Uberti Cattlemen at the same time.... Both functioned perfectly fine and were reliable, accurate guns..... But they were mismatched!

Don't see many Anvils about s/h, you may have to go the "new" route. The one I've mentioned is not mine, but a guy in the club. I know it's available because he offered it to me last night! lol
I have been in touch with Derek of Anvil delivery is now out to April / May 2016. that is why I posted on the forum to see if and second hand ones were on the market.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

you don't HAVE to have a pair to shoot cowboy, you just get classified differently, If you had one pistol, rifle and shotgun, you would be classed as 'working cowboy' you shoot the same stage, you just load another 5 into your rifle. so you shoot the rifle as if it is a pistol.

don't know if you've seen this yet or not, or even if you want to join a BWSS group (although as far as I know that is the only 'good reason' recognised western group in the UK

http://www.shootersofthecastironshore.c ... 20Book.pdf
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
qws

#7 Post by qws »

bradaz11 wrote:you don't HAVE to have a pair to shoot cowboy, you just get classified differently, If you had one pistol, rifle and shotgun, you would be classed as 'working cowboy' you shoot the same stage, you just load another 5 into your rifle. so you shoot the rifle as if it is a pistol.

don't know if you've seen this yet or not, or even if you want to join a BWSS group (although as far as I know that is the only 'good reason' recognised western group in the UK

http://www.shootersofthecastironshore.c ... 20Book.pdf
I wanted to go with two revolvers, so have ordered a second from Derek at Anvil. I have a Marlin 1894CSS, just need a shotgun- thought of getting the Pedisoli Wyatt Earp ? I have filled in my application to join the BWSS just need my photos. I am looking forward to going to my first shoot and have looked at the Yorkshire Renegades as this group is the closest to me. I live in Winston Co Durham.

I have a question what is a "sage" holster. I have seen of the Western Shooting supplies a "Clint Eastwood" rig is this OK

Thanks for the hand book this has been very useful to read.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

i'll be honest, I don't know.

If you go to a comp which a&a are going to, Alan usually has holsters that you can borrow. Personally, I borrowed for the first match, then bought that rig.

do you have a sec1 shotty slot?
the pedersollis are nice, I wouldn't mind one. all I'd say is it is a hammer gun, maybe walk before you can run? start with a simple boxlock or 1897 maybe? I figured start simple and step it up.
qws

#9 Post by qws »

Yes I have a section 1 - I just really like the Wyatt Earp
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

firstly, remember I'm still a novice, only been doing this for a year and a bit

I know, I do too, I'd love one. I'm only giving you information to ponder on. ultimately, if you are set on one, nothing I say will change your mind. I'd say get one and have it as a backup, sure. but as a primary, you'd probably be better looking at boxlock or pump. my 1897 has a huge loading port, just throw one in and slam it shut.
when trying out a side by side, I just couldn't get on with breaking it and flicking it back to shuck the shells.
most guys at matches will let you have a fondle of their guns (maybe more, I've never asked) so maybe before getting one, and then possibly finding it isn't great for what you want and having to get another slot. Maybe go down there and see whats what, along with the guns they are using?

all that being said, it is on my 'to be bought at some point' list :)