Winchester 1887 Shotgun

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
qws

Winchester 1887 Shotgun

#1 Post by qws »

I am wanting a good condition copy of the Winchester 1887 Shotgun. Section 1 - Ideally with a 20" barrel. Either the Norinco NR87 copy or the Chiappa copy. Would also look at an original Winchester if the price is right.
Sixshot6

Re: Winchester 1887 Shotgun

#2 Post by Sixshot6 »

qws wrote:I am wanting a good condition copy of the Winchester 1887 Shotgun. Section 1 - Ideally with a 20" barrel. Either the Norinco NR87 copy or the Chiappa copy. Would also look at an original Winchester if the price is right.
Might have seen on guntrader, will PM you if I find it. Also despite the blurb saying 2 3/4 shells are ok, reviews state they work better with 2 and half inch shells as that is what they were designed for.
ChAoS

#3 Post by ChAoS »

qws wrote:I am wanting a good condition copy of the Winchester 1887 Shotgun. Section 1 - Ideally with a 20" barrel. Either the Norinco NR87 copy or the Chiappa copy. Would also look at an original Winchester if the price is right.
Have you done your homework vis-a-vis the differences between the Chiappa and Norinco?

I decided that I wanted an '1887 a few years ago and spent some time surfin' the Internet. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather pay 1200 squids for a Chiappa than 600 squids for a Norinco.

Things may have changed, of course... (I've still not managed to "fondle" a Norinco 1887.)

You may be interested in my (admittedly dated) review of the Chiappa offering:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... on-shotgun

There's a link to some videos at the end of the thread.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark,
qws

#4 Post by qws »

Hi I did find your review while searching out the benefits of both guns. I have found two Norinco's for sale one is mint but second hand 28" the other is new 22" Seems most of the problems with both are using the wrong length cartridge and also not keeping the ejectors clean and oiled. Plus with both you need to work the lever correctly, which is different than my new Marlin.

So with the price difference I can have a action job done on the Norenco. Still not sure which way to go. So will try to get a deal on what's is available. If the price is right it should be OK.

Richard
ChAoS

#5 Post by ChAoS »

qws wrote: Seems most of the problems with both are using the wrong length cartridge and also not keeping the ejectors clean and oiled.
I use good ol' Gamebore Evo in my Chiappa; these are 70mm carts. I *do* get the odd hard extraction but, these days, not so many. So far, I've not found a short cartridge that will [a] work in the Chiappa and increase the magazine capacity. Hence, I stick to the Evos.
Plus with both you need to work the lever correctly

Indeed. As I said in my review, you can't operate the lever toooo "manfully"; a little finess has to be used.

which is different than my new Marlin.

Well, following the acquisition of a couple of new slots, I hope to join the *rifled* leverin' club, soon. :) (Since I'm so happy with the '1887, I was thinking of buying a Chiappa 1892 TD in .357.)

So with the price difference I can have a action job done on the Norenco.

When I took my Chiappa back to the dealer to have a little "fettlin'" done, he operated the action and asked if I'd slicked my Chiappa up. No, I hadn't - it'd merely been *used* quite a bit. :)

Still not sure which way to go. So will try to get a deal on what's is available. If the price is right it should be OK.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on. I'm happy enough with the Chiappa that I've consided - only *considered*, mind you - asking them to make me a custom 1887; I'd like a 24" barrel (so that it can be S.2ed if required) and a mag tube that is as long as possible. Also, a *real* hammer spur would be nice...

Please keep us informed as to how you get on.

Regards,

Mark.