Black powder revolver wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
ovenpaa

Black powder revolver wanted

#1 Post by ovenpaa »

I fancy building a snub nose so I am looking for a sub GBP100 black powder revolver, not overly fussed about condition as it will probably end up being re-finished.

Anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: Black powder revolver wanted

#2 Post by the running man »

I've seen pietta and remmy new model army's for as much as £10....just gotta be in the right place at the right time I guess...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
ovenpaa

#3 Post by ovenpaa »

Yes, I am sure there are a few languishing in dark corners just waiting for a new owner and lease of life :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dazeroo

#4 Post by dazeroo »

Non Sale Query!

How do you imagine a "Snub-Nose" BP revolver would perform.

No expert in Internal Ballistics, but I always believed that BP (and Pyrodex), was a very slow burn?

Just curious!

Regards,

Daz.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Burn depends on the amount of powder, its granulation, bore diameter and length of barrel.

In revolvers with small amounts of fine grain powder, in a short powder column in relation to the bore diameter then most of the powder will get burnt within the cylinder and if any isn't then it will get blown out as much through the cylinder gap as down the barrel so really the length of barrel in a revolver will make little difference to the combustion of the charge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dazeroo

#6 Post by dazeroo »

Thanks Dromia

My natural curiosity has been satisfied!
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

dazeroo wrote:Non Sale Query!

How do you imagine a "Snub-Nose" BP revolver would perform.

No expert in Internal Ballistics, but I always believed that BP (and Pyrodex), was a very slow burn?

Just curious!

Regards,

Daz.
Compared to what? Compared to smokeless powder blackpowder is actually a fast burning powder.

This isn't a scientific video by any means, but it shows a row of different powders (blackpowder on the left, smokeless on the right). The bloke in the video starts off the smokeless powder which gradually starts burning and making it's way over to the blackpowder. In an instant, you can see all the blackpowder burn in rapid succession.

Although blackpowder burns very quickly smokeless powder actually produces a lot more gas which leads to a higher pressure in a container of the same size. This is why it is extremely dangerous to use smokeless powder in a blackpowder firearm!

dazeroo

#8 Post by dazeroo »

:good:
thankssign
dazeroo

#9 Post by dazeroo »

Told you I was no expert in "Internal Ballistics"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

That video is not a good illustration at all.

Black powder burns the same whether contained or not, the burning rate of smokeless changes when contained and under pressure, as in a cartridge.

For "speed" of combustion comparison the burning rate of smokeless would need to be observed contained as in a cartridge.

It is comparing apples and oranges.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/