.308 budget is £700

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
BamBam

Re: .308 budget is £700

#21 Post by BamBam »

I like the Magpul Hunter 700 stock, very customisation friendly and won't break the bank.
Topdogpippin

#22 Post by Topdogpippin »

Great post from Laurie, nothing like a fact based opinion! Having said that......we are lucky in my club to have great access to local MoD ranges so frequently get out to 600, also a smaller group of us get up to Bisley at least once every couple of months. In those cohorts there are members that shoot with both Howa's and Tikka, I also have owned a varmint barrelled Remy SPS on an AICS chassis. Contraversially, is it only about the way they shoot? Having done a little gunsmithing and helped others do so on their firearms it also becomes a matter of what goes on on the inside. I value the words of the likes of Ovenpaa on a matter like this. Having done trigger replacements, springs, firing pins, safety's etc. there is the question of build quality. Of the three makes raised in question here, and may I add CZ, I would say that the build quality on the Tikka range is substantially better. Chaps that I shoot with that have 20" barrels on their Tikkas shoot consistently better groups with their Tikka's than those with Howa's, there is the 'mutt behind the butt' argument but I shoot regularly enough with these guys to know their general strengths an weaknesses. The one thing I have noticed on their Howa's is bolt slop especially at full extension, I don't see this unpleasant phenomena on those with Tikka's that I have shot. Not wishing to extend this particularly if this were my budget and I were to be starting out again I would almost certainly concentrate on a low round count Tikka. I would like to get my hands on the Sabatti range as well to see how they feel as they look like good value, but as the adage goes 'you only get etc.'
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#23 Post by kennyc »

Topdogpippin wrote:Great post from Laurie, nothing like a fact based opinion! Having said that......we are lucky in my club to have great access to local MoD ranges so frequently get out to 600, also a smaller group of us get up to Bisley at least once every couple of months. In those cohorts there are members that shoot with both Howa's and Tikka, I also have owned a varmint barrelled Remy SPS on an AICS chassis. Contraversially, is it only about the way they shoot? Having done a little gunsmithing and helped others do so on their firearms it also becomes a matter of what goes on on the inside. I value the words of the likes of Ovenpaa on a matter like this. Having done trigger replacements, springs, firing pins, safety's etc. there is the question of build quality. Of the three makes raised in question here, and may I add CZ, I would say that the build quality on the Tikka range is substantially better. Chaps that I shoot with that have 20" barrels on their Tikkas shoot consistently better groups with their Tikka's than those with Howa's, there is the 'mutt behind the butt' argument but I shoot regularly enough with these guys to know their general strengths an weaknesses. The one thing I have noticed on their Howa's is bolt slop especially at full extension, I don't see this unpleasant phenomena on those with Tikka's that I have shot. Not wishing to extend this particularly if this were my budget and I were to be starting out again I would almost certainly concentrate on a low round count Tikka. I would like to get my hands on the Sabatti range as well to see how they feel as they look like good value, but as the adage goes 'you only get etc.'
"bolt slop" at full extension makes sweet fanny adams difference to accuracy if that was the case then Mauser actions would have been missing targets for the last Century or so! the Tikka's definitely feel "tighter" which is nice, but don't mistake that for better build quality. as to why the Tikkas shoot better groups is it possible that the budgets expended are also reflected in better (read more expensive) scopes, bipods and ammo? all of these things will impact on accuracy.
Topdogpippin

#24 Post by Topdogpippin »

Well nothing like taking one comment out of context and making a point out of it. I also commented on triggers, safeties, bolt construction and machining. A Seiko tells the time as well as a Breitling or an Omega but it the pleasure of ownership and use is what makes the difference both to the experience and pleasure of shooting the individual firearms mentioned here. Also their build quality will be a good indicator of how they will fare and last long term, if they start with bad tolerances are they going to get any better with use? As far as your other comments are concerned all these guys shoot with low to mid range glass like Nikko Stirlings, Tasco's, or Nikons and all hand load to fairly good amatuer level without being overly precise. How many variables do you want to take into account, the original poster is seeking an objective opinion which I have tried to add, your tuppence counts for what?
kennyc

#25 Post by kennyc »

Topdogpippin wrote:Well nothing like taking one comment out of context and making a point out of it. I also commented on triggers, safeties, bolt construction and machining. A Seiko tells the time as well as a Breitling or an Omega but it the pleasure of ownership and use is what makes the difference both to the experience and pleasure of shooting the individual firearms mentioned here. Also their build quality will be a good indicator of how they will fare and last long term, if they start with bad tolerances are they going to get any better with use? As far as your other comments are concerned all these guys shoot with low to mid range glass like Nikko Stirlings, Tasco's, or Nikons and all hand load to fairly good amatuer level without being overly precise. How many variables do you want to take into account, the original poster is seeking an objective opinion which I have tried to add, your tuppence counts for what?
exactly what you paid for it cheers
David Nimrod

#26 Post by David Nimrod »

kennyc wrote:
Topdogpippin wrote: your tuppence counts for what?
exactly what you paid for it cheers
Boom tish! lol lol
Spencer54

#27 Post by Spencer54 »

Well I bought a low round count Tikka in the end, decision was based on what I'd seen online, personal experience and what I consider a good deal.

Now I'm off to start a fight about what scope I should put on it.

Thanks for your input guys and I learnt all Howa's aren't the same...
kennyc

#28 Post by kennyc »

Spencer54 wrote:
Now I'm off to start a fight about what scope I should put on it.
feck me! you are a glutton for punishment :p clapclap
Topdogpippin

#29 Post by Topdogpippin »

Good choice and enjoy shooting it, have a go at McQueens where having a 'sloppy bolt' slowing your recycling down can count every bit as much in your result as the accuracy of the rifle. Good luck with it, definitely staying out of the scope debate but a Vortex would go well on it ;)
ovenpaa

#30 Post by ovenpaa »

Is it too late to mention I have a genuine .308 Steyr SSG69P1 excluding 'scope and rings for GBP550 here, it even comes with a new magazine.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal