Start up kit for muzzle loading rifle (Enfield .577)

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
BrunelTR

Start up kit for muzzle loading rifle (Enfield .577)

#1 Post by BrunelTR »

I have just started up with muzzle loading and have just brought my first rifle - a Parker Hale 2 band navy Enfield in .577. I am now in need of kit so looking for anyone with spares that they would like to pass on or sell. Ramrods, sling, tools, tubes, cleaning accessories, powder flasks and measures, etc.

Thanks! Any suggestions of kit I need to get to start out that I may not have thought of then please also post below!
MrD
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Start up kit for muzzle loading rifle (Enfield .577)

#2 Post by MrD »

BrunelTR wrote:I have just started up with muzzle loading and have just brought my first rifle - a Parker Hale 2 band navy Enfield in .577. I am now in need of kit so looking for anyone with spares that they would like to pass on or sell. Ramrods, sling, tools, tubes, cleaning accessories, powder flasks and measures, etc.

Thanks! Any suggestions of kit I need to get to start out that I may not have thought of then please also post below!
Hi
One thing that I'd suggest is a loading rod courtesy of B&Q. I made one up from hardwood dowelling with a wooden 'mushroom' shaped cabinet/door knob. You can add some sort of ferrule at the business end if you wish - I used an old .357 mag case on my .45 pistol rod but didn't bother with my .577 one. Cut it to length so that it protrudes about 2-3" before fixing the knob. With the rifle unloaded mark where the rod exits the muzzle and add some red insulating tape below this. Finish with a couple of coats of varnish to aid wiping off any fouling. When the rifle is loaded, the red tape will be visible - unloaded it is hidden inside the barrel giving a clear indication to other users. Even if you plan to use the rifle's own rod, a marked dowel is worth using in the same sense you'd use a breech flag.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
BrunelTR

Re: Start up kit for muzzle loading rifle (Enfield .577)

#3 Post by BrunelTR »

Good point! Definitely worth giving that a go thanks!