Leupold long range scope / MK4

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
dirtbag

Leupold long range scope / MK4

#1 Post by dirtbag »

I'm looking for a Leupold MK4 scope for my M14 build please.
Andy632

Re: Leupold long range scope / MK4

#2 Post by Andy632 »

You can't have mine, it's on my M14! ;) :D :D
dirtbag

#3 Post by dirtbag »

cool - what power, and how do you get on with it?
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

If it’s for a “DMR” it has to be 3.5-10x40 or the fixed 10x40! ;-)

Be wary though, Leupold stopped selling Mk4s to civilians in January 2017. Prices have crept up. Stateside, they’ve gone through the roof! Likewise, the Chinese knock offs are getting really good. Make sure you know or know of the source....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dirtbag

#5 Post by dirtbag »

Sim G wrote:If it’s for a “DMR” it has to be 3.5-10x40 or the fixed 10x40! ;-)

Be wary though, Leupold stopped selling Mk4s to civilians in January 2017. Prices have crept up. Stateside, they’ve gone through the roof! Likewise, the Chinese knock offs are getting really good. Make sure you know or know of the source....
Thanks - yes I have been looking.
Is 10x okay for 800 - 1000 yards, or would I need something larger ?
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

I have a 3.5-10x40 upto 800 nicely. 1000+ on the ETR when “mortaring” my short barrelled .308.

I also have a 8-25x50. Great scope for the long ranges, but the fact is, it’s not as “forgiving” as the x10. Everything has to be right with the big scope, eye relief, cheek weld, head position for it to give its full. The x10 seems to be far better at dealing with something being a little out of kilter.

I also have a 4-14x50, which is a VariX-III as opposed to a Mk4. That’s a far better compromise and not as long dimensionally as either of the others. Looks better on a semi auto style. Well it certainly did on my AR. The glass on the Vari-X is just as good and you can get mil-dot and target turrets if you need.

Alright, you won’t get the ruggedness of a Mk4 but where as I paid 350 for the vari-X a good Mk4, whatever the model is really going to start around 6 to 700 depending on condition and extras.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dirtbag

#7 Post by dirtbag »

Hi thanks very much for the in depth response.
Yes I was looking at the Vari's , with the butler creek caps on they don't look that much different from a mark 4 in my view.

Depends how "correct" I want to be, but that has been my downfall over the years when I have been shooting longer ranges. I have it "correct" looking , but I don't shoot "correct"!
Andy632

#8 Post by Andy632 »

Just looked at mine, it's a MK4 4.5-14 X 40 PR with mil dot reticle on QD mount.
M41B

#9 Post by M41B »

I had one of the Bausch and Lomb (not the Bushnell) 10 x 40 tactical scopes that were originally fitted to the M25 rifles and the Accuracy International super magnums, it now sits on top of my friends M14. It does look the part and I have asked for first dibs if ever he sells it. They are great rifles and fun to shoot. There was one on guntrader a few weeks ago but I’ve checked and it’s gone now, might be worth keeping an eye out. Good luck with your search
Mat
I enjoy my shooting but usually get a better group with the empty cases !!!!
dirtbag

#10 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks all for the responses. I have managed to get a MK4 16X fixed M1 ,40mm.
contacted Leupold before hand and sent pictures, and they confirmed the scope is theirs, and was made in 1990 (Prefix X).

I am looking to get the butler creeks end caps and a sunshade, any ideas where I can get them , and what sizes please ?