M855A1 projectiles needed (three)

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Odd Job

M855A1 projectiles needed (three)

#1 Post by Odd Job »

I'm looking for three M855A1 projectiles. I need these for a gunshot wound presentation, since I have a case where an individual has been wounded by one of these rounds and I want to present it to the radiographers with sectioned samples to hand around.

Of course I will pay for three whole cartridges, since you'll have to give me just the pulled projectiles.

Does anyone have these?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... cartridge/
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: M855A1 projectiles needed (three)

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Probably better off asking S5 dealers/retailers, civvies can't own the stuff
DVC
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#3 Post by channel12 »

What! I can't own a standard NATO 62g 5.56mm round, who knew they were S5?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Time in the clink can be as simple as a couple of digits! M855 fine, M855A1 wuh-oh! :run:
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

M855A1 is NOT a standard NATO projectile - it's a new lead-free round developed by the US, with a much larger, exposed, hardened steel penetrator. The rest of NATO is still using the SS109-type projectile as standard. I suspect many places would consider it armour-piercing and would restrict ownership.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Blackstuff wrote:Time in the clink can be as simple as a couple of digits! M855 fine, M855A1 wuh-oh! :run:
The price for going 'green'.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#7 Post by channel12 »

DaveB wrote:M855A1 is NOT a standard NATO projectile - it's a new lead-free round developed by the US, with a much larger, exposed, hardened steel penetrator. The rest of NATO is still using the SS109-type projectile as standard. I suspect many places would consider it armour-piercing and would restrict ownership.
But the SS109 bullet also has a harden steel penetrator core.
Odd Job

#8 Post by Odd Job »

I'll make some enquiries about the legalities of possessing these projectiles and report back.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#9 Post by DaveB »

channel12 wrote:
DaveB wrote:M855A1 is NOT a standard NATO projectile - it's a new lead-free round developed by the US, with a much larger, exposed, hardened steel penetrator. The rest of NATO is still using the SS109-type projectile as standard. I suspect many places would consider it armour-piercing and would restrict ownership.
But the SS109 bullet also has a harden steel penetrator core.
True, but the penetrator on the M855/SS109 is a wee tiny thing just behind the tip and is not visible. In fact unless you specially mark it - as the US does with a green tip - most would not be able to tell it apart from any other 5.56 mm projectile without a magnet. SS109 is considered 'semi-armour piercing', at best, whereas the penetrator of the M855A1 is very visible indeed and this feature could easily lead to it being assessed to be armour-piercing ammunition.