RCBS primer pocket swager

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Sim G

RCBS primer pocket swager

#1 Post by Sim G »

As the title says, anyone got one?

Thanks.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: RCBS primer pocket swager

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Yes but you're not having it! green55

If you want to lend it for a while to get through a batch of cases etc you can have it for a the cost of postage. Send me a PM. :good:
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

The press mounted version or their bench mounted type?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote:Yes but you're not having it! green55

If you want to lend it for a while to get through a batch of cases etc you can have it for a the cost of postage. Send me a PM. :good:

lol lol lol

Thanks for the offer Mark. A mate lent me one which only showed how much I need my own!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote:The press mounted version or their bench mounted type?

Good point, didn’t realise there were two types. I’m after the one that goes in a press, like a die on its own.

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

I've used both and I can honestly say i'd use the bench one every time. I borrowed the press one and by the time I'd gone through a few hundred cases the rod looked like a pigs knob! RCBS send you a free replacement if you ask for one (well actually they sent two :good: ) but the bench one is way more sturdy if you've got a lot of cases to do.
DVC
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

Blackstuff wrote:I've used both and I can honestly say i'd use the bench one every time. I borrowed the press one and by the time I'd gone through a few hundred cases the rod looked like a pigs knob! RCBS send you a free replacement if you ask for one (well actually they sent two :good: ) but the bench one is way more sturdy if you've got a lot of cases to do.
With the press/die version it's critical that the rod is screwed tightly into the top of the die and tightened with the locking nut. Otherwise, you'll damage tho rod. I've gone through a few hundred and it's all OK, however, it's always good to know RCBS have your back with replacing broken parts.

The one downside to the press/die version is that removing the cases is a bit violent. It's not a simple push to pop the case off, you really have to hit the handle hard to knock the case off the stud. Doing this for any length of time is a bit painful on the palm of your hand. Not sure if the bench mounted one has the same problem.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

The bench one works differently in terms of the physical mechanics of it, its way easier and faster. There's a YOutube video where someone has attached an elastic band to the case holder and has it auto-ejecting the case into a box lol but i never went that far!
DVC
Sim G

#9 Post by Sim G »

Thanks chaps, all sorted now.

bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#10 Post by bewildered »

A bit of case lube on the nipple makes the case easier to remove after swaging the primer pocket.