Military conversions

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
42DAF

Military conversions

#1 Post by 42DAF »

Are people still using military conversions P14 Mauser 98 etc or are they seen to be to far behind now?
42DAF

Re: Military conversions

#2 Post by 42DAF »

I meant for TR sorry didn’t make that clear to start with
Laurie

#3 Post by Laurie »

At basic club level, yes - they'll likely go on forever .......... or 'forever' as defined by being able to stay on the frame at short/medium distance for some shooters! At anything above that level 'no'.

The deciding factor is barrel condition and replacement cost. A tiny number of 'sleepers' aside all of these rifles have very high round counts. Faced with the £800-1,000 cost of a replacement match barrel for a rifle worth £150, not many elect to go down that route.

Of the older models, early SWINGs and some Musgrave RSAs are seen as justifying a rebarrel, so they'll keep on going for a long, long time yet. The remaining military actions, much poorer prospects.

It's not just barrels. Many 1st generation TR rifles - now getting on for 50 years old - have poor triggers by today's standards and their half-MOA / 'click' P-H and AJP sights are frequently worn out, full of slop and backlash. A new rearsight is an expensive item too for a rifle that's not worth much.
42DAF

#4 Post by 42DAF »

Thought as much. I’ve got aload of P14 parts kicking about but doubt anyone would want them.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

42DAF wrote:Thought as much. I’ve got aload of P14 parts kicking about but doubt anyone would want them.
I might know someone if you send a list by PM I will forward it
42DAF

#6 Post by 42DAF »

kennyc wrote:
42DAF wrote:Thought as much. I’ve got aload of P14 parts kicking about but doubt anyone would want them.
I might know someone if you send a list by PM I will forward it
I’ll dig through but basically one of everything except barrel and action for P14 and a stock and trigger guards for Mausers
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

#7 Post by Gundog »

Hi 42DAF
You don’t happen to have a full set of wood for the P14 (stock and two top woods) preferably for the Remington ?

Gundog.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

We now need prices as this has become a for sale thread.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

#9 Post by Gundog »

It’s merely an enquiry, no suggestion of money changing hands!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

My post is directed at the OP.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/