Marlin .357 Cowboy Limited

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Sim G

Marlin .357 Cowboy Limited

#1 Post by Sim G »

Marlin Cowboy Limited in .357 magnum. This is a JM produced version with its serial number denoting 2007 manufacture. This was two years before the Remington take-over And was one of the last 24" octagonal barrels with checkered woodwork.

Some marks to the woodwork from cabinet dings, marks to the for-end. Bluing and metal work very nice. Overall really good condition.

New Remington made Cowboys are over 1200 new. Second hand .357 JM Cowboys we're changing hands for 1200 as well, not so long ago. Very realistic price for a great, discontinued gun of £925.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
simong
Home club or Range: Saxon

Re: Marlin .357 Cowboy Limited

#2 Post by simong »

Evening Simon,
Pm inbound

Best
Simon
Suffolk champion...50 mtr precision flinching champion

Howa 308 GRS stock
Uberti 1873 45 LC
Ruger Precision 6.5
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

They're great rifles - I have one and have a few gold medals from postal comps. to show for it. It sometimes feels as if all I have to do is squeeze the trigger and the rifle does all the hard work.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

This is Sold pending
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

BRYAN3

#5 Post by BRYAN3 »

Well that's my ears pricked up.
I purchased my one in 2007, must have just missed the chequering then.
Is there much interest in these now as I might sell mine. I have not used for two years.
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

Yours will also have a 20” barrel...?

BRYAN3

#7 Post by BRYAN3 »

Sim G wrote:Yours will also have a 20” barrel...?
No. It's 24" Cowboy limited.
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

One of the “inbetweeners”! I always preferred smooth wood work.

Yep, there’s definitely still an interest in JM 24” Cowboys. Prices went absolutely crazy a few years ago where examples were changing hands for 1400 quid plus. You still see them advertised today for around 1200. New Remlin Cowboys being made with 24” barrels are around 1200 new. Depending on condition a JM Cowboy should be between 900 and 995 to my mind.

20” JM Cowboys are not as favourable it seems. Shame as I really love a short rifle over a carbine, any day!

BRYAN3

#9 Post by BRYAN3 »

Thanks Sim.
I will have to assemble everything for a group photo and post something up.
It's currently carrying Skinner sights and I have a dovetail rail in the drawer somewhere.
I have a decision to make(a painful one).
Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

Personally, I would return it back to the original spec and then sell the Skinners separately. Fact is, the sight picture of the Skinners is very subjective. Some love it some hate it. I wouldn’t add any value, per se, just be a nice “sweetener” for the deal.

But, I know what you mean. I had a very long think about this and I only have three “modern” Marlins out of a total of 17. The other two are very rare versions that are keepers. An 1894P in .44 that gets s*** more than any other and a Ltd Cowboy, short rifle in .32 H&R Magnum. This .357 is going because of another pre-1900 that’s materialised. Another SRC at that!!