.41 or .44 cal Obsolete calibre pistol

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

.41 or .44 cal Obsolete calibre pistol

#1 Post by Nelly2014 »

Ok so, what have you got?
Sim G

Re: .41 or .44 cal Obsolete calibre pistol

#2 Post by Sim G »

In my opinion, it would be a brave man who put good money into s58 now...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#3 Post by Dellboy »

Sim G wrote:In my opinion, it would be a brave man who put good money into s58 now...

lots coming up for sale at auctions locally
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Dellboy wrote:
Sim G wrote:In my opinion, it would be a brave man who put good money into s58 now...

Which sort of confirms Sim G's point, possibly.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Nelly2014

#5 Post by Nelly2014 »

Dellboy wrote:

Interesting points. Care to illuminate? And which auctions?
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

S58 were a really nice, relatively unknown, way to enjoy certain firearms without shooting, from time when great leaps forward in firearms technology was being made. It had the added advantage that no-one really knew what you had. For that, read “the government”...

Two things have happened in recent times. Prices have gone through the roof!! In no small part due to the commodity that they are in the US and as an alternative investment to stocks and bonds, particularly post the 2008 crash.

In the UK that has been passed on as examples become more difficult and expensive to obtain, then ship.

The second and more worrying for us in these shores is that s58, rightly or wrongly has hit the radar of the media and subsequently the Home Office have had to make noises as well. I have no doubt that there is an effort by NABIS to collate figures after the presence of a s58 firearm at a number of crime scenes as well the criminal charges efforts from the likes of Paul Edmonds.

We are no doubt due primary legislation once the crisis of Corona and the mechanics of a final Brexit are concluded. We have currently three principal Acts and dozens of other pieces of primary legislation going back 50 years. It has long been touted that a “consolidation” of these laws is due. In no way will new principal legislation be beneficial to shooters and gun owners and as I said, it would be a brave man to gamble on s58 remaining and consequently, control will see the investment made, plummet.

If one is looking at a s58 cartridge revolver for the joy of ownership for as long as it lasts, however short, then crack on and good luck. But I’ll caveat that with the caution of above.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

Nelly2014 wrote:
Dellboy wrote:

Interesting points. Care to illuminate? And which auctions?

well a couple of small aution places near us Stacy's (prob online) and small house clearance place had some turn up . two guys in our club have been trying to shift stuff for about a year now they had maybe 150 between them . Im guessing a few will get the de act treatment :cry:

found stacy's
http://www.staceyauction.com/
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Nelly2014

#8 Post by Nelly2014 »

well a couple of small aution places near us Stacy's (prob online) and small house clearance place had some turn up . two guys in our club have been trying to shift stuff for about a year now they had maybe 150 between them . Im guessing a few will get the de act treatment :cry:

found stacy's
http://www.staceyauction.com/[/quote]

Thanks thankssign
Nelly2014

#9 Post by Nelly2014 »

Just so I don't waste anyone's time, I'm looking for unrestored finish but good mechanical condition.
Thanks