Mosin 91/30

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Alpha1

Mosin 91/30

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Another one on my bucket list a Mosin 91/30 has to have a round receiver were do I find one.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Mosin 91/30

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Alpha1 wrote:Another one on my bucket list a Mosin 91/30 has to have a round receiver were do I find one.
https://www.valmontfirearms.com/rifles- ... -mm-rifles
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Had a few replies unfortunately most of them are hundreds of miles away.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Sandgroper wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Another one on my bucket list a Mosin 91/30 has to have a round receiver were do I find one.
https://www.valmontfirearms.com/rifles- ... -mm-rifles
Nice but a bit too expensive for what I have in mind.
The last Mosin long rifle I owned I paid £150 for from my mate Joe. Like an idiot, I sold it and regretted it ever since. (Selling the Darrell mount was another mistake)
I have plans for the rifle I don't want to use a £700 plus rifle for what I have in mind. It's a project I have had in mind for a while now.
But thanks for the input.
If I can source one nearer to where I live that would be good.
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

Sadly older rifles like this do command higher prices these days. Gone are the days of the M39 Carbine selling for GBP25.00 and the 91/30 for GBP75.00
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:Sadly older rifles like this do command higher prices these days. Gone are the days of the M39 Carbine selling for GBP25.00 and the 91/30 for GBP75.00
Very true, Mosin prices have climbed significantly in the last few years especially as they are no longer coming out of Russia due to the sanctions.A large proportion of Mosins that found their way to Britain and Europe were released out of Ukrainian storage depots but these have largely dried up due to some of the depots being looted for anything that will shoot.It is a sad fact that many were also sold for scrap when the price of steel rocketed.

Alpha......what have you got planned?, if it is anything permanent remember that some Mosins are very collectable compared to others and it is easy to take any collectable value off what could be a desirable variant.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Sadly older rifles like this do command higher prices these days. Gone are the days of the M39 Carbine selling for GBP25.00 and the 91/30 for GBP75.00
Very true, Mosin prices have climbed significantly in the last few years especially as they are no longer coming out of Russia due to the sanctions.A large proportion of Mosins that found their way to Britain and Europe were released out of Ukrainian storage depots but these have largely dried up due to some of the depots being looted for anything that will shoot.It is a sad fact that many were also sold for scrap when the price of steel rocketed.

Alpha......what have you got planned?, if it is anything permanent remember that some Mosins are very collectable compared to others and it is easy to take any collectable value off what could be a desirable variant.
I understand your concern as a Mosin collector. But I normally buy firearms and keep them I don't buy them for the collectible value. I buy them to hand load for and shoot. I am looking for a
bog-standard round receiver version with a good bore. I have a bent bolt and a period scope mount so you can guess what I am up to. But I will be keeping it. It will not be going any were.
I have all the reloading gear hundreds of cases and bullets I just need to put them to good use.

My bucket list has a few other interesting to me rifles on it but I need to acquire them soon as I don't intend to work for much longer and my income will reduce considerably once I chuck the towel in.
snayperskaya

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

This may suit your needs, it is a regular post-war Soviet refurb'd example......

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/mosin-nagant- ... es/1247160

All my Mosins, including my arsenal matching '44 Izhevsk PU sniper, get shot regularly and are definitely not "safe queens".

Is the scope mount you have a PE/PEM type top mount?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I believe its a PE mount.
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 517 times
snayperskaya

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:I believe its a PE mount.
mount.jpg
Yep, what's known as a Smirnsky top mount.To be fair factory original PE and PEM snipers are extremely rare, the vast majority that you see are made from "ex-snipers".

You may find this interesting......

https://www.wwiigermansniper.com/russian-snipers