Thread cutting on short barrels

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

Thread cutting on short barrels

#1 Post by GlockworkOrange »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows who might be able to cut down a rifle to ~12.5" and thread cut it without taking the action off? I messaged a few local gunsmiths to ask about this, one said he couldn't do a barrel that short with his setup and another said he could do it if the barrel would come off the action easily. I asked if he had the right tools to do this, such as a correct vice block and gauges for checking the headspace after and I didn't get a reply back. I either offended him or he didn't have the equipment. Maybe I'm being too cynical but I won't want someone yanking at it in a vice and twisting the receiver or putting the barrel back on misaligned. I was thinking someone could do it action attached, barrel mounted through the chuck but perhaps there aren't many lathes that allow this? The ones I have used did not allow this, so the only guns I have cut and threaded have been ones with easily removed barrels (mostly .22s and single shots).

So anyway, any experiences getting very short rifle barrels threaded? Specifically I want my Ruger 77/44 threaded and I have a project in mind with a Rossi 92 also.

Cheers!
ovenpaa

Re: Thread cutting on short barrels

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

We can usually do that in metric or imperial :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal