Cracked receiver

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
walesdave

Cracked receiver

#1 Post by walesdave »

Hi all

After some advice as I have no metal working knowledge or skills :good:

I've bought a rifle (for spares) that has a cracked receiver and I was wondering if fixing it was a possibility?

Rifle is a .22rf Erma EM1. I'm not sure what the metal is but http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_EM7.html says it's an 'alloy'.

The cracked parts fit perfectly together with no gaps or missing bits.

So, worth trying to fix and any idea who'd I ask to do the work - gunsmith or local metal worker (if I can find one), or just keep the broken rifle as a donor for my working EM1?

Cheers

David
Attachments
20201101_145143.jpg
20201101_145114.jpg
20201101_145050.jpg
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

Re: Cracked receiver

#2 Post by Mattnall »

I think the receiver is a MIM part and would be difficult to repair. Even if it was fixed it might not be able to withstand the shock of constant firing.
I have an ERMA M1 receiver here that has a similar failure but on the side where the op rod goes. The repair involved getting a new receiver but that area is much thinner than you break.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
walesdave

#3 Post by walesdave »

Mattnall wrote:I think the receiver is a MIM part and would be difficult to repair. Even if it was fixed it might not be able to withstand the shock of constant firing.
I have an ERMA M1 receiver here that has a similar failure but on the side where the op rod goes. The repair involved getting a new receiver but that area is much thinner than you break.
Cheers for the info.
Out of interest, where did you source the replacement receiver from?
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#4 Post by Mattnall »

ITL. I believe Ian used to distribute the ERMA, but either way he has had a replacement (stronger) operating rod made and carries many spares for the M1.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.