Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Samul2692

Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

#1 Post by Samul2692 »

Ok so i'm probably opening a can of worms here but i was wondering, what are the benefits if any of a suppressor/moderator for target shooting and whats all the fuss about with getting a slot for one if you're solely a target shooter?

Thanks in advance guys.
JonC

Re: Use of sound moderators for target shooting....

#2 Post by JonC »

Along with the obvious reduction in noise (which is welcome) you also get less felt recoil, which is extremely handy.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Use of sound moderators for target shooting....o

#3 Post by Mike357 »

I have read that some forces are refusing to allow mods for target shooting now!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
DaveT

#4 Post by DaveT »

I Luv 'em for the reasons already stated.... just seems to make everything more shootable.

Theories abound that it dampens down barrel harmonics and improves grouping.... not sure on the science but I agree.

Downside is that your crown will carbon-up heavily ... its tough to get off.

Point of impact will also most probably change so record your new 'mod-on' zero settings at each range.

As for the law on mods... its silly!
Gun Pimp

#5 Post by Gun Pimp »

Samul,

Benefits? Reduction in noise and re-coil. Noise reduction may not be relevant if you are shooting close to other un-moderated rifles.

Disadvantages - extra weight, cost, cost of fitting/re-proofing, could spoil accuracy, heat mirage could spoil sight-picture, may not be allowed in some target shooting disciplines, point of aim will change.

Vince
Samul2692

#6 Post by Samul2692 »

DaveT wrote:I Luv 'em for the reasons already stated.... just seems to make everything more shootable.

As for the law on mods... its silly!
I've not been shooting long but the few rifles i've shot suppressed just felt smoother so i can see the point about making everything more shootable even rimfire calibers and with regard to the law I hear alot about justifying the need for it but surely making the gun more shootable (less recoil for example) isn't going to be enough especially on rimfire calibers so how how are people justifying their need?

As for the barrel harmonics idea i heard that today myself from a dealer, and no he wasnt trying to sell me anything :lol: he suggested that if you buy a decent mod like an ASE ultra that it "helps" with barrel harmonics (don't ask me how) and improves grouping even with supersonic rounds. That being said and even if this is true, could increased accuracy be "justification".

Again thanks for the input guys and gals i need it :G just got confused with the lack of information out there on the web as with all things shooting related in the UK
JonC

#7 Post by JonC »

Being anti social I opted for a muzzle brake :0037:
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

A well designed and properly fitted moderator will improve the accuracy of your rifle. There are several reason for this, not least the reduction in upsetting. However, I would venture to suggest that none of the moderators currently on the market perform anywhere near as efficiently as they could be made to do.

*Taps snout knowingly*

With regards to being allowed to possess / use a moderator, quote the EC Directive on Noise in the Workplace to Mr Plod and he'll let you have one. It's the upside of the Al Qatada effect....
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
DaveT

#9 Post by DaveT »

Just to clarify the JUSTIFICATION issue ... I have always quoted 'Hearing Protection' and never had any push-back from Glos police... after all we are not talking about a weapon here for Gods sake!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

DaveT wrote:Just to clarify the JUSTIFICATION issue ... I have always quoted 'Hearing Protection' and never had any push-back from Glos police... after all we are not talking about a weapon here for Gods sake!
you obviously have never dropped one on your toe! :P :P