Pistol

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Pistol

#21 Post by 1066 »

safetyfirst wrote:
techguy wrote:There's only so much you can do with a 12" barrel on a semi auto .22
I had one that shot an inch at 100' repeatably, just a stock 10/22 with a green mountain barrel.

My grand power is a county mile more accurate than the old gsg was.
Is that 100 feet or 100 yards? :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sixshot6

#22 Post by Sixshot6 »

top wrote:Cheers lads, but now I cant make my mind up, I like the look of the 1911, but I like the accuracy from the bookmark.
You didn't mention your budget either. How much are you willing to spend?
safetyfirst

#23 Post by safetyfirst »

Lol. Yards, with minimag before they went south for me.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#24 Post by 1066 »

1066 wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:
techguy wrote:There's only so much you can do with a 12" barrel on a semi auto .22
I had one that shot an inch at 100' repeatably, just a stock 10/22 with a green mountain barrel.

My grand power is a county mile more accurate than the old gsg was.
Is that 100 feet or 100 yards? :)
safetyfirst wrote:Lol. Yards, with minimag before they went south for me.
I wish I could do that with my Sako Finnfire and match ammunition :)
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
safetyfirst

#25 Post by safetyfirst »

Ok ok, I went back and measured, given the incredulity. According to Google Earth, the distance I was shooting back then was 87 yards. It could hit a two pence 9 times out of ten at that distance and grouped about an inch on paper. That rifle and ammo combination was amazing. My cz never did that, nor did my friends.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#26 Post by 1066 »

safetyfirst wrote:Ok ok, I went back and measured, given the incredulity. According to Google Earth, the distance I was shooting back then was 87 yards. It could hit a two pence 9 times out of ten at that distance and grouped about an inch on paper. That rifle and ammo combination was amazing. My cz never did that, nor did my friends.
I think you were lucky with your rifle/barrel/ammo combination. The problem is, of course, that many new or inexperienced shooters read these forums, they subsequently buy something like a 10/22 and expect to be head shooting rabbits at 100 yards, then get disappointed and frustrated when it doesn’t work.
Anyone who’s been shooting a variety of rimfires over a considerable time will know a five shot group at 100 yards with a 10/22 would be a topic of conversation in the clubhouse, anyone who shot three consecutive five shot 1” groups on the same target should be able to claim free drinks for a week.

We all carry phones with cameras now, many who use rimfires in the field use a rangefinder and there’s free software to accurately measure our targets. Quantifiable data is helpful and adds to the general knowledge base.
Statements like “I had one that shot an inch at 100' repeatably, just a stock 10/22 with a green mountain barrel.” Could be misleading, whereas “I had a cracking 10/22 with an aftermarket barrel that could hit a two pence most of the time at a fair distance” might be nearer the mark.

There’s was an interesting and informative in depth test carried out a while ago, using a state of the art rifle with a barrel tuner and a quality high power scope, shot from a solid rest, rear bags, a concrete bench and an indoor tunnel range, even then Mini-Mags failed to crack the 1” barrier.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of- ... ison-test/
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
safetyfirst

#27 Post by safetyfirst »

You're quite right of course, I should think before pressing send as it's not really send it's "Publish"