SMLE foresight Tool

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
HALODIN

SMLE foresight Tool

#1 Post by HALODIN »

Hello,

If anyone has a SMLE foresight adjustment tool for sale, please let me know. Everyone that says they have one on the internet doesn't (out of stock) and I just can't lay my hands on one.

Cheers,

Craig.
mas36

Re: SMLE foresight Tool

#2 Post by mas36 »

Craig,

I am heading over to a guy that may have one tommorrow - Ill let you know if he has and what he would want for it. Im hoping to be driven to Oundle this weekend so may be able to deliver.

Glenn
HALODIN

#3 Post by HALODIN »

Hi Glenn,

Cool yes please, if you happen to stumble across one. Are you Mr Dolphin Gun AX308 Glenn..?

Cheers,

Craig.
mas36

#4 Post by mas36 »

Hi thats me!

Or more lately Glenn whos had neck surgery and whos not allowed to shoot the AX308 (or anything :bad: ) for another 8 -9 months!

Hows the SMLE going? Obviously shooting off a bit! Dave B may have one you could borrow, or any other SMLE owner up the club. They arent cheap when you can get one - have you thought of a windage adjustable rearsight such as the Parker Hale 5?
HALODIN

#5 Post by HALODIN »

Hi Glenn,

Yeh sorry to hear about that, at least you're on the mend. I had to pay a visit to see Mik after you let me put a few rounds through your AX308. I have to say good choice on all of your components, they're exactly what I would have picked. :good:

I haven't shot it very much because the foresight is irritating me, I was hoping to have fixed it by now. I tried tapping it with a hammer, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to overly persuade it! I have asked everyone I know, but no one seems to have one, the price isn't that important if I could find one.

Do you mean like this?

I might go for one assuming I don't need to tap any new threads, but it does spoil the look of the rifle a bit. I'd rather try and get along with the standard battle sights if I can.
mas36 wrote:Hi thats me!

Or more lately Glenn whos had neck surgery and whos not allowed to shoot the AX308 (or anything :bad: ) for another 8 -9 months!

Hows the SMLE going? Obviously shooting off a bit! Dave B may have one you could borrow, or any other SMLE owner up the club. They arent cheap when you can get one - have you thought of a windage adjustable rearsight such as the Parker Hale 5?
Watcher

#6 Post by Watcher »

I have an Arrowmark tool for the SMLE foresight but truth be told buy yourself a 2" G clamp. and saw off the pad at the end of the thread. Make sure its polished smooth and you're sorted. Original foresight tools require you to take the nose cap off. If its an original with the graduations marked that's OK because you can simply dial in the correction you want and reassemble. If its a modern repro like the Arrowmark (without graduations) you have to reassemble - try a few shots - disassemble etc. Now I just put the G clamp over the site protectors and job's a good-un. If you want a No 4 tool will fit and you can get a repro from Kranks.
mas36

#7 Post by mas36 »

No joy with my mate. Theres one on ebay at the minute, day to run and already at £70. Im at an arms fair at bisley next month, bound to be one there if you can wait that long.
HALODIN

#8 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the post. Don't both of these solutions mean I have to have holes in the foresight protector?
Watcher wrote:I have an Arrowmark tool for the SMLE foresight but truth be told buy yourself a 2" G clamp. and saw off the pad at the end of the thread. Make sure its polished smooth and you're sorted. Original foresight tools require you to take the nose cap off. If its an original with the graduations marked that's OK because you can simply dial in the correction you want and reassemble. If its a modern repro like the Arrowmark (without graduations) you have to reassemble - try a few shots - disassemble etc. Now I just put the G clamp over the site protectors and job's a good-un. If you want a No 4 tool will fit and you can get a repro from Kranks.
HALODIN

#9 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for trying. sign92

What's the likely price difference between EBay and Bisley do you think? Thanks for the offer, but I'm probably going myself, but I do hope I've sorted something out before then! fingerscrossed
mas36 wrote:No joy with my mate. Theres one on ebay at the minute, day to run and already at £70. Im at an arms fair at bisley next month, bound to be one there if you can wait that long.
mas36

#10 Post by mas36 »

Each solution has its own issues mate.

Foresight adjuster - expensive and not always readily available. Most of these can only be used to adjust the foresight by removing the nosecap, adjusting a bit, refitting, shooting and repeating several times until satisfied. Undertake on a nil wind day to achieve a group in the centre of the target. Once done, the tool is not used again - you correct by aiming off from then on otherwise youd be constantly adjusting for even a small change in wind or distance. Expensive option for something you may only use once! Excessive removal and refitting of the nose cap will lead to excessive wear and tear and possible damage to or loss of the screws. I can get one from the US, new, for about £40 and it would be here in about 10 days if youre really after one.

Windage adjustable leaf for the rearsight. Gives quite a bit of adjustment to the rearsight. IF the foresight isnt too far out to begin with it can be the easy option, otherwise you have to undertake the above first to get the rifle shooting straight before fitting. Never fitted one but I understand its easy to do and I can get one for about £40, maybe less (second hand). How original is your rifle, and more important, how original do you want it to be? Fitting one would make it unpallatable to a purist!

The Parker Hale type. Go on ebay for £100 -£200. Dont need any holes etc to be drilled or tapped, but do require a screw set for fitting. If they arent with the sight they should be! They are still available at times but cost 20 -30 quid so factor that in. Also needs a 6 hole aperture, same applies. No foresight adjustment needed and will improve your groups no end. Yes they are unsightly to some people but are a means to an end and give an excellent range of adjustment. I have one on mine and swear by it. You can remove the adjustment arm without taking off the "body" and still use the normal leaf rearsight if required.

All may be available at Bisley - and may be cheaper or more expensive. You never can tell!

Are you at the club Sunday, I can bring my SMLE so you can try the rear sight if you want.