Variation advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

toffe wrapper

Variation advice please

#1 Post by toffe wrapper »

After some advice please
Putting in a variation and want to add moderators for my 22lr & 9mm as I use them on covered firing points and noise reverberates alot.

Do I just list moderator for .22lr and Moderator for 9mm. reson being noise reduction and hearing protection.

Thanks in advance
TW
ovenpaa

Re: Variation advice please

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

Yes, that is all that is needed. It would be a brave FEO that knocked you back on the grounds of noise reduction/hearing protection and I personally expect to see a lot more applications for suppressors in the coming years. In fact I would not be surprised to see this as a mandatory requirement at some ranges.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

I have done this in the last month.

I firstly wrote a letter, as I use to do, stating what and why.

Surrey FET sent be a form to fill out but with no space for free text, so in he box marked "reason" I simply wrote "target shooting". I was granted everything i requested, including 2 moderators.

DM
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by IainWR »

Remember its the new simplified variation form you need.

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/rang ... orm202.pdf
toffe wrapper

#5 Post by toffe wrapper »

Great thanks for the answers.

New form is better than filling out full old form.

TW
ovenpaa

#6 Post by ovenpaa »

I have not looked at the NRA version however there is a copy on this forum that allows you to fill the form in on your PC:

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15236
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I used the electronic version for my recent variation. It was quite painless.
raybrown53

#8 Post by raybrown53 »

Used the new variation form sent it into Wilts last Friday returned FAC yesterday with my additions and Holding allowance increases. The new forms are so easy to fill out and very painless indeed.
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

One of the ranges I shoot on has a policy that moderators are, if not quite compulsary, preferred. ..due to a new resident in the vicinity.
Non moderator equipped guns have to be fired with their muzzles inside foam lined tubing.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#10 Post by Mattnall »

I can see a situation where all this " I want sound moderators for target use because it's noisy" stuff is going to turn nasty.

I have already heard one FEO hint that if the hearing protection is not up to scratch then it should be changed, and someone else wonder aloud, those not using a sound moderator shouldn't be allowed to shoot on the range with those that do as it'll be too noisy for the more sensitive shooters.
In the end we'll all have to go and purchase a sound moderator just to be allowed on the range.

Have you tried double plugging (foam inserts and ear defenders)?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.