Wanted - 44 Auto Mag Pistol dies

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
jmc67
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

Wanted - 44 Auto Mag Pistol dies

#1 Post by jmc67 »

Oh, I am well aware how much of a long shot this is, but does anyone have any 44 Auto Mag Pistol dies lurking away at the back of a cupboard gathering dust please?
saddler

Re: Wanted - 44 Auto Mag Pistol dies

#2 Post by saddler »

Are they not 44 magnum dies, but with a .308 shell-holder?
jmc67
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by jmc67 »

No, apparently not. There are some new sets available, but I'd be happy with an old set if anyone has one.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by 1066 »

No body should be allowed to talk about, let alone own, something like this - The sooner they're all made into paperweights the better. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I know the Auto Mag was eventually offered in several chamberings but didn't the original one use cut down 308Win cases? If so, it should be possible to use 308Win dies for full-length sizing and maybe for seating. If not, a 30-06 die should work for seating.
jmc67
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by jmc67 »

It is possible to use 308 brass to make the 44 cases however it needs to be cut to length and reamed out to thin the brass in the walls. The auto mag case also needs (I believe) a taper putting in it so not sure the 308 dies will do the job. Really looking for the actual dies if possible.
dazeroo

#7 Post by dazeroo »

Unless you're really expert at "Wild-Catting" I would suggest that specific dies are the only way to go.

Surely the pistol round is straight-Walled? .308 is a tapered case. Even if you had the skills to form the modified cases from 308 cases, a 308 die is not going to be any use.
saddler

#8 Post by saddler »

dazeroo wrote:Unless you're really expert at "Wild-Catting" I would suggest that specific dies are the only way to go.

Surely the pistol round is straight-Walled? .308 is a tapered case. Even if you had the skills to form the modified cases from 308 cases, a 308 die is not going to be any use.
ALL rounds have a varying degree of taper. ...."straight wall" or otherwise. ....just some are more pronounced than others & a few rounds have an obvious taper....
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by 1066 »

saddler wrote:
dazeroo wrote:Unless you're really expert at "Wild-Catting" I would suggest that specific dies are the only way to go.

ALL rounds have a varying degree of taper. ...."straight wall" or otherwise. ....just some are more pronounced than others & a few rounds have an obvious taper....
Is that right Saddler? What about cases like .357 mag? Isn't that where the ease of carbide sizing dies pays off - just slide them in, parallel all the way.

Cases like the 45/70 look quite straight but are indeed tapered.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
saddler

#10 Post by saddler »

Parallel cases aren't.
Read an in depth article on this some years ago...
Without a very degree of taper they'd not extract.

Got any SAAMI cartridge drawings to counter this?