Reccommend Me A Spotting Scope...

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
David Nimrod

Reccommend Me A Spotting Scope...

#1 Post by David Nimrod »

...that I could likely find second hand.

Something for up to 200m I guess.

And budget wise, up to about £250.

thankssign
David Nimrod

Re: Reccommend Me A Spotting Scope...

#2 Post by David Nimrod »

OK, I've had a look online, and I'm totally confused.

Looks like I'll need to spend more... probably New...

Any advice most welcome!
Duey
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#3 Post by Duey »

There's a 22 power scope in the for sale section that may not have sold yet
depends what you want to see and at what range, most of the cheaper spotting scopes on ebay or amazon would show bullet holes at 200 but if you want to push the distance then your really looking at minimum of very high £hundreds or £1K
I occasionally my cheap 20-60 x 80 spotter that I bought about ten years back at one of the game fairs for about £65 I think and works ok to 300yds, I find it easier to spot bullet holes with it set around 25 power
I think there are more options on spotting scopes that there are on rifle scopes and that's a lot
So unless your looking to spot 17 cal holes at 500yds I think most options out there will suit your needs
Meaty

#4 Post by Meaty »

I had a good look through this (and others) last weekend and was impressed by the clarityhttp://www.cleyspy.co.uk/used-equipment ... 64382.html although you may be happier with an angled eyepiece http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/used-equipment ... -zoom.html
They are a twitcher/birder shop not far from me (no affiliation!) with a good selection of used scopes / binos and a good reputation.
Couldn't believe the money people were spending on scopes in the hour that I was there!
David Nimrod

#5 Post by David Nimrod »

All good info... thankssign
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

You're better off buying a quality with a lower magnification, than a cheap scope with a higher magnification. Sports optics is one of the few arenas where you really do get what you pay for.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#7 Post by hitchphil »

depends on what you want to see?

holes - best optics at high mag - fairly expensive - Nikon, Opticton, Viking to £250 are Ok

wind - best optics across field of view & with a good depth of field in focus - Expensive - Kowa, Cannon, Ziess etc,

Bedroom window across the street - Swarovski £3000 +

NSRA 25 yds - Lidl, Greenkat, Optus.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#8 Post by FredB »

I went through the selection process about 6 months ago. I had an old Yashica scope with 5 eyepieces but I wanted to change to a zoom scope with an angled eyepiece.
Settled on one of the higher end Celestron products. On the down side, it is big and heavy but the performance is extraordinary and definitely compares well with my friends Leica up to 200yds, which is as far as I ever shoot.
Fred
Rockhopper

#9 Post by Rockhopper »

Do you need to see the actual holes or the bright orange marker that the scorers use? At 200m I can see those without needing a scope. Last time out i used my binoculars but any cheap Aldi type birdwatching scope will be fine.
If you don't have butt markers then thats a whole other word of expense (or if you are shooting F class i imagine).
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#10 Post by Mike95 »

Opticron usually good. Get a large object lens...70/80mm which will give you a decent view at 200yds. Most of the 60mm object lens not up to it in poor light....unless you buy a Swarovski of course! I bought a Jessops cheapo from fleabay...Chinese of course, but with a 75mm object lens...no problem finding bullet holes at 200yds. £250 should get you a decent Opticron or Kowa s/h.

Mike95