Does ANYONE in Suffolk sell 7.62x54r?

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
BeerBelly
Home club or Range: Middlewick

Does ANYONE in Suffolk sell 7.62x54r?

#1 Post by BeerBelly »

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

As per the title. I can't find a single place anywhere near me (coastal Suffolk) that sells 7.62x54r. Does anyone know of any RFDs that have some?
Lancs Lad

Re: Does ANYONE in Suffolk sell 7.62x54r?

#2 Post by Lancs Lad »

BeerBelly wrote:Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

As per the title. I can't find a single place anywhere near me (coastal Suffolk) that sells 7.62x54r. Does anyone know of any RFDs that have some?

All things Russian are definitely becoming scarcer and more expensive. I had an M38 for a while and 100 rounds cost in the region of £28. At that price it wasn't worth reloading, but not now though. You may be better off buying a couple of hundred 762 x 54 PPU and some reloading gear. It's pretty easy to reload this stuff and while it may not work out a whole lot cheaper, at least you'll have ammo when you need it.

:flag13: LL
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

Also, due to the corrosive nature of old Russian milsurp, you never quite know what state the inside of the cases are in. I had a large batch that were pretty much on their last legs. Every other round or so fired through my Mossie would pepper my face with hot sparks.~
Closer inspection revealed the steel cases were fracturing. I shot those I had at the range and cannibalized those back at home for reloading - powder and all (which I downloaded and stretched a little further). And, of course, reloads don't require the full boiling water treatment for cleaning.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

Dark Skies wrote:Also, due to the corrosive nature of old Russian milsurp, you never quite know what state the inside of the cases are in. I had a large batch that were pretty much on their last legs. Every other round or so fired through my Mossie would pepper my face with hot sparks.~
Closer inspection revealed the steel cases were fracturing. I shot those I had at the range and cannibalized those back at home for reloading - powder and all (which I downloaded and stretched a little further). And, of course, reloads don't require the full boiling water treatment for cleaning.
Was it definitely Russian or the Chinese stuff that came out of Albania via the Czech Republic?.I've shot a LOT of Russian stuff going back to '54-dated and it all had cases that were clean as a whistle on the inside and I've only had a couple of split necks out of thousands of rounds.Some of the stuff that came out of Albania was stored in less than perfect conditions and the cases suffer as a result.

And when it comes to corrosive primers you don't actually need boiling water to flush, plain old cold or warm water straight from the tap will flush equally well and then clean/dry/oil as normal.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
BeerBelly

#5 Post by BeerBelly »

I'm not really looking for any surplus stuff, what I really want is some PPU/S&B/Winchester. I figure 100 rounds or so should see me through until I get some reloading gear, the issue is finding it :(

Clarkes at Walsham have said they can probably order me some Winchester stuff, so hopefully that comes through. Still looking for anywhere that happens to have some in stock though, my next range day is the 6th and I'd really like to be able to try my new toy!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

snayperskaya wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Also, due to the corrosive nature of old Russian milsurp, you never quite know what state the inside of the cases are in. I had a large batch that were pretty much on their last legs. Every other round or so fired through my Mossie would pepper my face with hot sparks.~
Was it definitely Russian or the Chinese stuff that came out of Albania via the Czech Republic?.I've shot a LOT of Russian stuff going back to '54-dated and it all had cases that were clean as a whistle on the inside and I've only had a couple of split necks out of thousands of rounds.Some of the stuff that came out of Albania was stored in less than perfect conditions and the cases suffer as a result.

And when it comes to corrosive primers you don't actually need boiling water to flush, plain old cold or warm water straight from the tap will flush equally well and then clean/dry/oil as normal.
To be honest I can't recall - it was a good eight years back or so.
Using boiling water is something i've always done when cleaning metal parts (bike / car rebuilds) as the extreme heat causes the metal to dry itself off. But sure, tap water works.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Lancs Lad

#7 Post by Lancs Lad »

Henry Kranks are showing PPU 7.62 x 54R in stock with a 182 Gr bullet stuck in the business end. The PPU cases are reloadable and use a boxer primer.

I've no doubt that they would transfer some ammo to your local RFD if you crossed their palms with silver.

Regards

:flag13: LL
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

BeerBelly wrote:I'm not really looking for any surplus stuff, what I really want is some PPU/S&B/Winchester. I figure 100 rounds or so should see me through until I get some reloading gear, the issue is finding it :(

Clarkes at Walsham have said they can probably order me some Winchester stuff, so hopefully that comes through. Still looking for anywhere that happens to have some in stock though, my next range day is the 6th and I'd really like to be able to try my new toy!
What's the new toy Comrade?.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
BeerBelly

#9 Post by BeerBelly »

Lancs Lad wrote:Henry Kranks are showing PPU 7.62 x 54R in stock with a 182 Gr bullet stuck in the business end. The PPU cases are reloadable and use a boxer primer.

I've no doubt that they would transfer some ammo to your local RFD if you crossed their palms with silver.
Shipping ammo costs around £60, it'd be cheaper to drive to London and back for it.
snayperskaya wrote:What's the new toy Comrade?.......
It's a lovely little M27 from Highwoods, pics are on their website. Really nice condition :)
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

BeerBelly wrote:
Lancs Lad wrote:Henry Kranks are showing PPU 7.62 x 54R in stock with a 182 Gr bullet stuck in the business end. The PPU cases are reloadable and use a boxer primer.

Shipping ammo costs around £60, it'd be cheaper to drive to London and back for it.
snayperskaya wrote:What's the new toy Comrade?.......
It's a lovely little M27 from Highwoods, pics are on their website. Really nice condition :)
Very nice rifle, comrade! Welcome to the Finnish club too, proud M24 owner here!