Best glue for stock repairs

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Best glue for stock repairs

#1 Post by Richo »

Can anybody recommend the best type of glue to repair a split in my No4 forend woodwork, just stripped off the varnish (done by a previous owner) ready to apply linseed oil and its revealed a split about 2" long above the tie plate running forward.
Dont know which us the strongest or best, epoxy or some type of superglue, any recommendations.
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Best glue for stock repairs

#2 Post by Graham M »

You are going to have to make sure that there isn't any oil in the wood first, otherwise no matter what glue you use it won't stick properly. Acetone will strip the oil out prior to re-oiling after gluing.
I have used ordinary wood glue in the past where the stock has not been oiled.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

I've used PVA wood glue with excellent results.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I have used super glue.
Depending on the severity you may also might think about drilling and gluing in a dowel for strength say perhaps at the wrist.
If repairing a crack don`t use a bulky glue as you cannot fully close the crack and it will always show.
Best of luck with your repair.
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

From my woodworking experience - not stock repairs.

Gorilla glue - https://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue ... 15ml/54593 gives excellent results in bonding wood and it expands to fill every little gap. In talking to the manufacturers UK office, I was told it was originally developed to bond Teak which is a naturally oily wood.

I had to make a teak box a couple of years back - about 300x200x150 mm from 6-8mm teak corners were chamfered at 45deg and just glued together with Gorilla. It was solid.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#6 Post by Richo »

Thanks for the advice, its a very faint split and all but disappears when squeezed together so i think a thin runny type of glue would be the best option, theres no oil in the wood because a previous owner varnished the inside and outside which is probably why i didnt notice it before, but i will still clean it with acetone or equivalent degreasing solution.
That Gorilla glue sounds good but is it runny enough to get right into the split, i dont want to push my luck and spring it apart too much to get the glue in and make the crack worse.
Probably a dead easy job for a woodworking guy but i am a metalworker so bit ham fisted for delicate woodwork, and i dont know anybody who does stock repairs so its turned into a DIY job.
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
If you intend using Gorilla glue, read the instructions as the mating surfaces are supposed to be damp.
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Gorilla is fairly viscous and will proably not get into such a thin gap so probably, in this case, not suitable. For future reference though, if you can open up a crack, get a piece of wet kitchen towel, or the crack and drop towel in, that will moisten the surface. Remove teh twowel, and drizzle in a little glue then use a scalpel, need, paper clip to move teh glue around. Then close up and tape (or clamp) together, wait a few hours.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Superglue THICK not thin. I use it all the time.
You have about 5 minutes of set time.
Dont use cheap Superglue you can buy it on line from Axminster tools or any Wood store.
You can clean off excess with acetone.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#10 Post by billgatese30 »

A piece of thread will help drag the glue into the crack without having to spread it open too far. Be careful if doing that though with superglue as some cyanoacrylates don't react well with cotton.
Chris