need CHEAP .38 spl brass...

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

need CHEAP .38 spl brass...

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

... so me and a friend have an idea - he's started making lamps out of bottles (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Baileys etc...) and so far has ben filling the bottles with those glass ornate bead things...

anyways, he had an idea of filling the bottles with bullets... and obviously they'd need to be inert... So I thought i'd see how much it would cost to actually make some inert rounds, with .38 spl as I already have the dies...

cast boolits I see DodgyRog is selling for £23 per 500 (500 should be enough for a few bottles - I hope - I've never put bullets in bottles before!), but what might cost the most, which I'm hoping wont (i read DodgyRog couldn't give them away previously) is some UN-Decapped (read once fired still with primer) .38 spl brass - condition doesnt REALLY matter as these will likely never be fired - but cleanable would be a bonus (I have a new tumbler... yay! go me!)...

So does anyone have any .38 spl brass that they'd let go for cheap? Ideally I'm looking for 500 in total, but if that has to come from a few sources, providing the postage isn't astronomical, I can see whats what :)

i appreciate if you've taken the time to read this thread :)

TG
dave_303

Re: need CHEAP .38 spl brass...

#2 Post by dave_303 »

pm me, i may have a fair few hundred to shift
TattooedGun

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

PM'd :)
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

I did this with empty pistol brass a few years ago and was surprised at how quickly they went manky even in a sealed bottle so make sure they well tumbled first.

Now here is a tip for you.. lacquer them with hair spray. I used to restore vintage motorbikes and any alloy casings I polished I sprayed with harmony hair spray afterwards, it kept them super shiny and a quick wash with hot soapy water removed the residue. I forgot all about this until I opened a box earlier this year, the casings in it had been polished at least 15 years before and were still in superb condition.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

ovenpaa wrote:I did this with empty pistol brass a few years ago and was surprised at how quickly they went manky even in a sealed bottle so make sure they well tumbled first.

Now here is a tip for you.. lacquer them with hair spray. I used to restore vintage motorbikes and any alloy casings I polished I sprayed with harmony hair spray afterwards, it kept them super shiny and a quick wash with hot soapy water removed the residue. I forgot all about this until I opened a box earlier this year, the casings in it had been polished at least 15 years before and were still in superb condition.
Thanks for the tip :) I sprayed the keyring I did for my (now ex) girlfriend with car laquer... however being on her car keys it started to chip... but it is still pretty shiny 6 months on... Still think it was a waste of a palma matchking 2156!! now whenever i press 100 bullets, I have to open a new box for the 1 extra! Doh!
ovenpaa

#6 Post by ovenpaa »

Yes, that would annoy me as well. I think the Viking has a 7x51 on her keyring right now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

still looking for some if anyone can help out?