Snider MK3

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
huntervixen

Snider MK3

#1 Post by huntervixen »

Hi all,

My Snider has to go to help pay for the "Grand Canyon" sized hole in my bank balance caused by my L1A1 purchase....you can't have everything guys!

More high res pics on my website, pm me for info, (I won't put it here because of forum rules)...pssst, check the signature below!

This example is a 3 band Mk 3 Snider, built as a Snider by Enfield in 1870. All earlier marks of Snider in British service were converted from P53 Percussion Muskets by adding the Snider breech loading mechanism, but retaining the original iron barrel.

The Mk 3 was the ultimate Enfield Snider, being built from scratch, it benefited form a purpose made Three groove Minie rifled Steel barrel, flat nosed hammer and the safer latch locking breech block.

The majority of mk 3 Snider's were issued to Colonial forces after a very brief service with the British Army. The replacement Martini Henry Mk1 was first introduced in 1871, only 1 year after this Snider was manufactured in fact!

This British Army example is in very good condition, it functions perfectly on half and full cock, the breech mechanism works without fault and the bore is excellent, with crisp rifling and a very bright bore.

The metal work is rust and pitt free with much surviving original bluing to the breech area, the rest is bright steel in finish.

All parts are WD "broad arrow" and Enfield marked, including the original cleaning rod and barrel bands. The barrel and breech area are covered in Primary and secondary Ordnance acceptance markings and the stock bares the (now faded) Ordnance board condition cartouche's, the final one being 1888 was probably when it went to store.

The stock has some bruising and scratching, but this doesn't detract from what is now a rare Rifle in the UK, as most were dispatched to the dominions never to return.

Subject to Gunsmith checking and re-proofing I feel this would make a very good historic shooter.

£850

(Price includes one .577 inert round.)

Cheers, John.
Attachments
Snider Breech FB.jpg
Snider lock FB.jpg
Snider right FB.jpg
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Snider MK3

#2 Post by Christel »

HV,

No rules on this forum for you to post links to your website.

O:-)
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

That's just luverly HV tongueout

I'd really like one of these, but it's the wrong time...hope there's still a few going for that price in a couple of years....
Meaty

#4 Post by Meaty »

Dougan wrote:That's just luverly HV tongueout

I'd really like one of these, but it's the wrong time...hope there's still a few going for that price in a couple of years....
I was just thinking the same thing....I have one of these on my wish list but wont be able to do anything about it until at least next year :cool2:
huntervixen

#5 Post by huntervixen »

Meaty wrote:
Dougan wrote:That's just luverly HV tongueout

I was just thinking the same thing....I have one of these on my wish list but wont be able to do anything about it until at least next year :cool2:
Good British Mk3's don't come up very often guys, thats why I grabbed this one when I got the chance, make a great shooter!

Cheers, John.
huntervixen

#6 Post by huntervixen »

The Snider has now sold...the new owner wants to shoot it, so I have asked him to report back on how the old girl shoots!

Thanks for all the interest guys, cheers, John.