Globe Front Sight for No4 Mk1 Rifle.

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Blu

Globe Front Sight for No4 Mk1 Rifle.

#1 Post by Blu »

Right folks, I am now looking for a Globe type front sight for my No4 Mk1. Now then as I am not too up on these types of sights I throw myself to the tender mercy's of folks in the know. One Globe sight that seems to be a fit for the No4 is the A J Parker Matchmaker Front Sight, does anyone have any knowledge of these type of sights or indeed any type of globe sight that fits the No4 along with where to get one.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Blu :twisted:
Steve E

Re: Globe Front Sight for No4 Mk1 Rifle.

#2 Post by Steve E »

As far as I am aware the Match maker foresight was for the L39 series of target rifles. The L39 had a foresight block with a3/8" dovetail for the Match maker foresight to fit into. To fit a 'Globe' or tunnel foresight (the AJ Parker Match Maker or any other with a 'male' dovetail on the bottom) to a No4 (it makes little difference wether it is a MK1 1/2 or 2) you have to machine flat the original foresight block, then machine a dovetail to take a foresight. It may be worth contacting Fultons of Bisley, as they may have No4 foresight blocks with Tunnels fitted lying around in the odd drawer. After all they probably converted hundreds of foresights to accept tunnels when No4s were the standard target rifle.
Blu

#3 Post by Blu »

Steve thanks for the reply. After I posted I did some more research on this, a couple of the threads over here had guys buying the Lyman 17AHB - .404" sight which has a 3/8 dovetail and then filing it down to fit. The three threads I read on it, all three shooters said it worked really well as long as the time was taken to it nice and slow and do it right. I may explore that avenue first as all three said the sight was small enough to allow the Enfields fore sight protectors to be put back on.
17 AHB globe sight.jpg
752564.jpg

bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Blu.

I have just got one of a fellow forum member, but there has been a few recently on e-bay base and tunnel site complete, for the No4. Always worth a look.
I was told that a Parker Hale FS22 globe would fit onto a standard base, I bought one, not so needs the base dovetail cutting making it wider. Now the FS22 spare. I tried most if not all the dealers that may have parts for Enfields without any joy.
Good luck with your search.
Blu

#5 Post by Blu »

Hi bnz, a couple of folks over here on forums were mentioning FS22 and after a long search it would appear they are as rare as hens teeth. I will keep my eyes open on evilbay for them though. Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Steve E

#6 Post by Steve E »

Trafalgar Meeting at Bisley has lots of dealers with boxes of bits and bobs, I'll be having a good rummage to see what I can find.
Blu

#7 Post by Blu »

Steve E wrote:Trafalgar Meeting at Bisley has lots of dealers with boxes of bits and bobs, I'll be having a good rummage to see what I can find.
Unfortunately Bisley is a wee bit too far to travel for me.

Blu

#8 Post by Blu »

Well I had been looking for quite a while, always keeping my eyes out for one and now I have finally found one that was put together by a guy in NZ. Just have to wait for it's arrival now and hopefully it will do the job.
Enfield Sight 2.JPG
Enfield Sight.JPG
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Blu,

You beat me to it I put a bid on but it finished in the early hours here so missed out. Thats the perfect item for a No4. Well done. The guy in NZ had a fair amount of Enfield stuff for sale.
Neil
Blu

#10 Post by Blu »

bnz41 wrote:Hi Blu,

You beat me to it I put a bid on but it finished in the early hours here so missed out. Thats the perfect item for a No4. Well done. The guy in NZ had a fair amount of Enfield stuff for sale.
Neil
Hi Neil, I confess to cheating a little when bidding, I use a program called ebay sniper. It allows me to set my bid limit and to also bid at the very last one or two seconds before the auction ends, I just set it up and forget it, letting the program run in the background. Give ebay sniper a look, it's definitely worth it.