Nitro converted 1851 Navy.

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
Sim G

Nitro converted 1851 Navy.

#1 Post by Sim G »

I'm sticking up for sale my nitro converted .36 cal 1851 Navy.

This is indeed a very interesting little revolver and somewhat significant to the UK market. The makers names have been removed so that the gun wasn't associated with them, but it started life as an Uberti. When pistols were essentially banned, a lot of blokes wouldn't touch B/P because it was messy. The prospect of running them on nitro powder was explored initially by a firm in Kent, the Falcon Gun Company. A guy in the club was the engineer who worked with Falcon on the initial development and then he did the first 20 or so conversions. This one is a very early conversion...... Apart from the serial number and the nitro proof mark ('97), the only other mark is "X4", (Experimental model, number 4).

This has been made to resemble an early "Blacksmith Conversion", from percussion to cartridge. The rear of the cylinder has been machined and the nipple ports reamed out to accept 209 shotgun primers. There is a rudimentary loading gate and ejector rod. The ejector rod is secured between the loading rammer and the barrel when not in use. The primers are ignited by the modified hammer striking a spring powered firing pin fitted into the frame. Fit and finish are a little raw, but remember this is a working model to test a concept. Operation is perfect. Primers and charges ignite with 100% reliability, unlike caps and B/P and when you get home from the range, just shove it back in the cabinet...... It doesn't rust!!

Performance wise, I run it on either Bullseye or Unique, 3gns of either. It goes off like an old .38spl wadcutter round. ie very pleasant to to spend a range session with.

Now if that wasn't special enough, this gun comes fitted with a set of genuine, antique, elephant ivory grips!!!! These grips are probably around the 100 year old mark and have been looked after extremely well. There are no cracks or splits and are yellowing nicely. They were originally off a .38-40 1st generation 1873 SAA that the government told me I could no longer be trusted to own......

So firstly, why am I getting rid? Because in short, I've seen something else I want!! Needs must I suppose......

And now, how much? Nitro conversions seem to go for around 450 to 600 quid on their own. Antique ivory grips? I've rarely seen any in the UK, but those I have seen here and more often abroad, again go around the 400 to 600 mark. So what am I saying, this is worth nine to twelve hundred pounds?!!! No, it's the sum of it's parts. If I could be arsed I suppose I could locate some walnut grips and ask 500 just for the gun. But, as it is........

£600.

The actual gun is in the middle on the left in this pic. I'll get some better one's up later.

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!