About to put in my first FAC application

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

sidawson

Re: About to put in my first FAC application

#11 Post by sidawson »

20series wrote: its likely to be a few weeks and don't get excited if they've cashed your cheque ! that's the first thing they do.. :good:

Good luck with your application :cheers:

Alan
I figured that would be the first thing they did before even looking at the application lol
SevenSixTwo

#12 Post by SevenSixTwo »

sidawson wrote:I've just put mine in too last week, how long roughly till they contact you to arrange the visit.
Give them four weeks then get your representatives (BASC/NRA) onto them.
zanes

#13 Post by zanes »

SevenSixTwo wrote:
sidawson wrote:I've just put mine in too last week, how long roughly till they contact you to arrange the visit.
Give them four weeks then get your representatives (BASC/NRA) onto them.
Really? kukkuk

In many forces you're looking at more than that for a one for one, let alone an initial grant. Perhaps a polite email/call after a few weeks ("I haven't heard anything and just wanted to make sure I'd got all the paperwork right" etc.) But not BASC/NRA after four weeks (would they even take it up after that short a time? I can imagine the FLO's response "well, best part of a week for the forms to arrive with us (incl internal post), then over a week for the cheque to clear, we only arrange an FEO visit once our "internal" enquiries pan out (another week or two), our FEO's are booked out for several weeks, school holidays atm etc. etc.").

As a BASC member, I would hope the firearms team concentrate on more worthy cases.

For reference, I was about 9 months for initial grant, though my recent SGC app went through in about a month (although I got the impression that was rubber stamping as cabinets etc. checked as part of a move a few weeks before I put in for it).
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#14 Post by 20series »

sidawson wrote:
20series wrote: its likely to be a few weeks and don't get excited if they've cashed your cheque ! that's the first thing they do.. :good:

Good luck with your application :cheers:

Alan
I figured that would be the first thing they did before even looking at the application lol
No mate the first thing they do is type your name in the Police National Computer to see if you've been a very naughty boy :lol: then if it's clear they cash your cheque :good: :good:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#15 Post by Les »

In Cheshire, it takes around 8 - 9 weeks from the date of the application to the home visit, and then it can take a further 2 - 8 weeks for the actual License to come through.

Cheshire do admit to being seriously understaffed, so I'm not sure if the same figures will have any resemblance to the Merseyside/Lancashire force, but they probably won't be a million miles away. ;)
StangGT

#16 Post by StangGT »

I'm Surrey fwiw; so far (and with my SGC) they seem to be very on the ball.

I'm currently trying to decide what slots to ask for. I've been advised that 4 slots is 'normal'.

My main activity is PSG, so I'm thinking 2x Shotguns;

My club also does gallery rifle and full bore at Bisley, so I'd like a 22LR semi auto or maybe a 9mm for the gallery rifle and then I quite like the idea of a bolt action .308 or a .223 straight pull of some kind for the big ranges.

any thoughts?
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#17 Post by 20series »

Basically as long as you can provide good reason then the skys the limit, some forces insist on alarms etc when you get to a certain number, in Cambs it's 9.

Put in for as many as you wish just be prepared to answer why do you want X,Y and Z particularly if you want 2 of the same calibre, I don't know PSG but if you differentiate between optics and iron sights then you have good reason for 2.

TBH all the FEO's I've had have been really helpful and have advised accordingly. Remember you have your FAC for 5 years and if you want to add any extras it's currently £26 per variation so put on what you're likely to want in the next 5 years and it won't cost you any extra.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
techguy

#18 Post by techguy »

I have 3 x S1 slots for PSG (manual, auto and open). I did have to provide some details, and evidence of the different divisions and competition I do, but once I had done that there was no problem at all. FEO's often don't understand PSG.

Hampshire routinely give 4 S1 slots.

I know some guys in the midlands who have 7..yes 7!! S1 slots...
BamBam

#19 Post by BamBam »

5-6 slots is reasonable for a first application, plus mods and including 2 S1 shotgun slots. GMP doesn't clarify actions on ticket, so we can get any action as long as it's 12 bore.
LDC1982

#20 Post by LDC1982 »

I put in for my ticket last Tuesday with Avon and Somerset I got a phone call on Monday and my face to face booked for the following Tuesday. So two weeks from posting to interview, I'm well chuffed. I may actually be able to get a rifle and be able to get some practice in before CSR starts in October.